SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qwimjim56

Single or double sink for bathroom?

Mike Williams
7 years ago

We have a small single story ranch style house, 1200 sqft. One bathroom on the main floor, 3 bedrooms, 2 very young kids. The house originally had a double vanity, the plumbing is still there, 72" counter. The previous owner got rid of it (old woman, husband deceased) and replaced it with a single vanity, 60" counter.

We want to update it and are debating between sticking with a single sink 60" counter and a little shelf type thing at the end of the counter run (like this http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/images/products/hemnes-shelf-unit-white__0380549_PE555448_S4.JPG), or re-installing a second sink and getting a 72" cabinet/counter.

We do have a second bathroom in the basement, but at the moment, we all use the same bathroom upstairs. My sister has a 72" counter in her bathroom, same type of house, everyone sharing one bathroom on the main level.. and all that counter space just seems useless/unused?

I don't know that there would be a lot of times where two of us would be in there at the same time, each needing a sink, but it has happened on occasion. As our kids get older, I could see it happening more, but then maybe they'll demand privacy. So I'm unsure as what to do, double vanities almost seem like a relic of the past, but they seem so much more functional than just having another 2' of counter space?

Any advice?

Comments (10)