SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

OT: Protecting / preserving very old photos and a mystery photo ...

IdaClaire
7 years ago

I have an album full of very old family photos. It's literally falling apart at the seams, and is one of those with the 'magnetic' pages, which are also falling apart. Many of the photos appear to be permanently stuck to the pages (you can see a portion of the page behind the first photo where it's been cut at some point), and I believe the pages were at one time adhesive-backed. I think in order to save these photos, I'm going to have to cut them out, along with the page backing. As you can see from these (I just photographed them with my phone), they've become spotted and faded.

I will probably have them all scanned and put on disks or flash drives to share with other family members. Any thoughts on where to do that? And the photos themselves - should I look into attempting to have them restored (or would that be cost-prohibitive) and is there even a way to remove the age speckling? It makes my great-great-grandmother and great-great-grandfather look like they had something akin to smallpox, and I'm quite sure they didn't! What's the best way to store the photos once I remove them from the album? I assume they need to be in protective, acid-free sleeves. Is there a storage system or particular brand of album that you'd recommend?

Finally, any thoughts on what this uniform could be that is worn by my great-great-great grandfather? I've researched this in family records and online image searches and have come up empty. The only thing I know about this man is that he lived in North Carolina. It looks like it could be a band uniform.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022