SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Is this too busy?

uscpsycho
7 years ago

I wanted a steam shower in my school colors so disregard the color scheme if it does not appeal to you.

My question is in regards to the tile selection. The shower is glass subway tile except the bench and the pan, we used mosaic there for better "grip" under your feet and under your butt.

However, it seems like it's a tad too busy. I'm thinking red or yellow subway tile on the face of the bench, instead of mosaic, might bring things down a notch. However, a designer friend of mine thinks doing that would make it seem even more busy.

Note that there is no grout so the gaps are probably darker than they will be after it's grouted.

What do you think?

Comments (53)

• Linda Doherty
    7 years ago

Can I get a big Mac if I go in there???

OTOH, if you like it and don't ever plan on selling the house, or will be willing to redo it before listing, or sell it priced like a fixer upper, then enjoy it and do what makes you happy.

• MongoCT
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Obviously a contrasting grout color on the mosaic will accentuate the grid, so don't go with Stanford Cardinal Red or UCLA Blue. Think more along the lines of a color that will warm your heart for years into the future, something like Notre Dame Gold.

I'm going to go hide now. lol

A color-matching grout on the mosaic will take the lines away a bit,
    allowing the grout and tile to homogenize and blend. If you've come this
    far with the design, why not go a bit further and grout it with a
    matching grout?

What grout were you planning on using?

Finding a gold-colored grout might be tough. FusionPro has a gold color, I've used the product but I don't recall ever using that color. I have seen pails of it and it seemed to me that it was on the dark side of the gold palette, but again, that's my recollection of nothing more than the color swatch on the side of the pail.

• Related Discussions

Counters and Island Too Matchy or Too Busy?

Q

Comments (2)
    I personally don't think there is a right or wrong way to go. I like the contrast look, but I didn't do it (primarily because of the size of my kitchen and the size of my island). In my case, my perimeter cabs are off-white and my island is brandy with black accent. I went with verde butterfly everywhere (it's very dark) because my island is pretty large in relation to the kitchen and I did think it would look busy. IF my island had been much smaller OR I had a huge kitchen, I probably would have done contrasting counters. Now that they are in, I am very happy I chose to match them. It was the right call in my space. GOOD LUCK!
    ...See More

Too Busy ?Too Many Colors ? what should I add if anything ?

Q

Comments (15)
    It seems to me most of the busyness is from the huechera you have mixed with the hosta and not the hosta themselves. Once the hosta get bigger and more emerge they will tone it down rather than become busier. It is true that if you mass a lot of similar hosta together it mutes the beauty of each individual plant. If a variegated plants are surrounded by green or blue they will draw the eye and become the 'specimen' plant. Vice versa is true as well. I think if you picture the huechera out of the picture, the hosta are spaced a good distance apart and will look fine. Right now the huechera are causing the eye to dart from one bright color to another not the hosta. The huechera are the reason you feel the planting may be too busy not the hosta; at least until the hosta become more prominent.......in my humble opinion anyway. Jon
    ...See More

Is this backsplash too busy?

Q

Comments (16)
    the inspiration pics are very formal/classical /traditional. You can go matte or glossy but the style trumps the sheen as an issue. You will have an extremely light space with uv bouncing all over the place with white on every surface. I dont think the sheen really matters. the mango tile on your first board would be fine now that your vision is more revealed. It's all going to be a swathe of white....when you get in close the mango tile has some nice detail...better than the lacey arabesque. Pick the mango then.
    ...See More

Provensa At Ease too busy? And other Provensa to try?

Q

Comments (3)
    STOP right now . You go shopping find 2 you like get a box of each bring home layout in your house that is how you decide color .Not here wit too many choices to even begin to figure out what you need.
    ...See More
  • uscpsycho
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This house is FAR from a fixer upper.

I do plan to color match the grout to the tile, these color grouts are hard to find but they do exist.

Mongo - Go hide! RUN!

Anyway, nobody has directly answered the question about switching the face of the bench to subway tiles from mosaic. Would that be productive or counter productive?

• localeater
    7 years ago

I think changing from chicklets to subway on the face of the bench would not be beneficial. Once the grout is in, if the front of the bench is subway it will be an additional set of grid lines and actually busier. Imo

• roarah
    7 years ago

If you are committed to those colors I think you grout with a low contrast color and go. I must say after reading your other posts I thought you were going for sleek modern and this is anything but that. I am shocked that you called another poster's example of how to handle the glass next to your vanity " fugly" and than this is what you show.;)

• grannysmith18
    7 years ago

I don't think you should change the face of the bench - it will make it too busy. This way you have a large block of red and a large block of gold. Changing the bench will give you too much of a checkerboard look.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

From the photo presented , I would leave it as is . It is better than changing to the same red or a different color format .

You already off set the design by using the red on top of the step . Maye a larger picture of the whole shower , facing the bench , could be beneficial for seeing what you are trying to tell ?

• H B
    7 years ago

Sorry to miss the point earlier. Switching to subway yellow tile on the bench face would make it feel even busier.

• User
    7 years ago

Its a high energy, dynamic, tension causing color combo- which works for school colors and fast food restaurants (McDonalds, Wendys, Pzza Hut, In n Out,) where you spend little time but is completely at odds with the purpose of a steam shower. It will always be too busy for what it is and any additional lines will only make matters worse.

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    7 years ago

you get 2 points for brevity

• MongoCT
    7 years ago

"Anyway, nobody has directly answered the question about switching the
    face of the bench to subway tiles from mosaic. Would that be productive
    or counter productive?"

I think it's a Catch-22 of sorts. Right now the bench as a whole is mono-style, a single pattern and a single color, and it blends with the floor.

If you change the pattern on the bench face from mosaic to subway you'll reduce the business of the grout lines, but you add a shift from one pattern to another and back again. Gold subways on the bench face might not be bad. But it night not be beneficial. I'd leave it as is.

Changing the color? Making the face of the bench red will blend it with the other vertical surfaces, but it'll emphasize the striping of the gold bench seat to red bench face to gold shower floor. I think that would make it even busier, and in a negative way.

As you can tell from the replies, your design is very subjective. It's specific to YOU. Most anyone looking at your design will recommend you to change it because it's outside the norm of traditional design. That doesn't make it bad. It simply makes it YOU-specific. I don't at all mind people who design for themselves.

I'd say stick with what you have with the exception of one possible change. Your photo doesn't show the entire shower, but consider changing the curb top from red subway to to gold mosaic. That way the walls would be a consistent red and the bottom of the shower would a consistent gold.

Two colors, two patterns, with a single shift from one to the other.

If you stay with what you have, it'll look fine in the end.

• kudzu9
    7 years ago

I think that having a different style tile will make no significant difference. What would make a significant difference is going with only one of those color choices. I know you intended to have those colors, and don't want to be second-guessed or criticized, but it's hard for many of us to be constructive along the lines you want because it's hard to get around what seems to be a troubling color combination. If you are truly happy with those colors, it's none of our business. But if you want constructive input, please think about possibly modifying what you've done.

• chispa
    7 years ago

Good for you for doing what makes you happy!

I would not change the mosaic on the front of the bench. Your designer friend is correct. I would use grout that matches the red and the gold/yellow to keep the design funky/unusual but still simple.

• pamghatten
    7 years ago

Wow, in your first sentence you told people not to mention your color scheme if it didn't appeal to them. So most of them did.

Love to see someone doing what they love rather than the expected. I would also leave it as it is and not change the tiles.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    7 years ago

The difference in tile size creates a difference in texture that is interesting. In the context of a bathroom rather than in a close up photo, it might be fine. Can you post a photo of the whole bathroom?

• roarah
    7 years ago

Pam, in most circumstances I would never say something negative about what one loved but this poster was quite rude about a poster's picture of what might have been her bath and said it was " fugly" so in this case he can dish it so he can taste it too and honestly this combo is much uglier than the bath he unsolicitedly shamed. It is truthfully horrid!

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    7 years ago

In that "fugly" photo, I asked for an example of a design suggestion and a photo was posted that looked terrible. I may have been the poster's bathroom but unlikely. You make it sound like I personally attacked someone.

Thank you for the advice regarding the mosaic vs subway tile on the bench. It's unanimous, I will stick with the mosaic. And yes, the colored grout will help tone down all those lines. The fact that it is glass tile makes the ungrouted grid lines even worse because you can see the gaps through the glass as well as directly see the space.

As for the colors, anyone who knows me would totally understand the color scheme in this shower. People do all kinds of things in support of the teams they love because it makes them happy. This makes me happy. It could be worse, I could be a Seattle Seahawks or Miami Dolphins fan. I would have done it anyway. I'm building a house for ME and NOT for the next sucker who lives here. More people should learn to do what makes them happy and not care so much what other people think.

I will post a photo of the entire shower. I don't think it's quite as bad when you see the entire thing but the colors don't change so that is what that is.

As for the house being more modern, it is. That doesn't mean you can't let loose and have a little fun too.

Tundra, I'll take the points for brevity, but that's not something I've ever been accused of. Can I also have two points for bravery? ;-)

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here's a photo of the entire shower but the floor isn't visible.

• kudzu9
    7 years ago

I will say the workmanship and layout look good...

• Linda Doherty
    7 years ago

I said if you sell to price it as a fixer upper, not to imply t was run down, but because 99.99 percent of the people that would view that bathroom would consider it something they would redo. it's very taste specific.

• Fori
    7 years ago

The mosaic on the bench is fine! I'd avoid yellow grout. It just can't look good. I love yellow. But yellow grout is bad grout. I don't know why. Is white so bad? It's barely too busy as it is with the dark lines. I think a clean white would be nice.

Is the red grouted already?

And ya know what? Have fun with your bathroom. It's yours. It's cheerful. It's my high school colors!

Also go Bruins.

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

To answer your question: I agree with your friends that using red on the face of the bench would make it busier because you'd introduce one more contrast.

However, if you want to get a visual, maybe color print red tile and tape it to the bench or try to photoshop it.

• leela4
    7 years ago

However, Huskies colors would be awesome ;-)

• mrspete
    7 years ago

First, no, I don't think subway instead of mosaic would make any difference. I think the color -- not the shape -- is making the shower busy.

I'm not sure the shine of the glass is doing you any favors. A flat ceramic might've been more friendly to the overall look.

Its a high energy, dynamic, tension causing color combo- which works for
    school colors and fast food restaurants (McDonalds, Wendys, Pzza Hut,
    In n Out,) where you spend little time

Yes, this color scheme is popular in fast food because it subliminally encourages the diner to hurry-up-buy-food-eat-get-out.

Other thoughts:
    I'm very much a red person and yellow/gold is a good accent, so I'm not against the color scheme ... but any color scheme can be done well or poorly. This one's done poorly. Here are a couple bathrooms with red and gold ... on a lesser scale:

Here the basics are all neutrals, yet the red clearly dominates the room. If you had this same color scheme in more of a stripe-y shower curtain ... paired with some mascot photos on the wall ... it'd be a toned-down way to rep your school.

Here's a modern bathroom with a solid red shower ... you could bring in the gold through your towels.

Another example of a neutral bathroom that brings in a strong color accent. If this were paired with a big school-mascot poster on that blank wall, it'd say "school spirit".

Okay, you have to use your imagination here -- sub in gold where they used black. It's still very bold, but it looks more ... intentional?

Last one ... this one's pretty busy, but I like the mosaic on the wall.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Now , it makes it even better -- a wider picture -- .... I think it is quite balanced . The bench , the niche , the floor . Surrounded by the vibrant red . Choose the grout color wisely .

One thing I would change , maybe ( to late and not necessary ) , is the ceiling . Instead of the subway , I would've used the same yellow mosaic . But I am no designer :)

• H B
    7 years ago

You must post a photo once its grouted!

• maries1120
    7 years ago

I'm sorry but IMO it is too busy. I don't think the other option would improve on that and might be even worse. I love red and yellow but I think there are better ways to use the colors and better, less permanent ways to show your school/team spirit. Go for it though if this is what you love and what will make you happy walking into the room and seeing your school colors. Keep in mind you will likely need to re-do this before selling the house when that day comes.

• kats737
    7 years ago

First off, this is the first time an in progress tile job hasn't devolved into waterproofing discussion. At first I thought the walls were just in Redguard phase ;)

I actually think Mongo's picture is super helpful. I know the project is already completed, but having red tile on the face of the bench seems to kind of ground it into the space.

OP, keep your chin up. It's definitely a very personal touch and I'm sure will turn prospective buyers off in the future. HOWEVER, I think many renovations go that way anyway. Today's golden oak will be tomorrow's gray cabinets. Even living in a period house and doing a tasteful period renovation, people can say it's too old fashioned. I hope this shower makes you sing!

• enduring
    7 years ago

I'd keep with the mosaic on the bench. I like the colors. Iowa State university calls that "cardinal & gold". If no one has mentioned it, do tile sample boards to test several grout colors.

• L H
    7 years ago

Keep with mosaic. The grout will calm it down. Ignore all comments about color since it's YOUR house and you said right up front to everyone to ignore the color if it's not to our taste. Good for you for following your instinct and getting what you like!

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Agree. Also wanted to say that I'm amazed by some of the rude comments above, even after OP started out asking not to focus on the color scheme.

• enduring
    7 years ago

I'll add that that shot of the shower from the outside, in progress, is stunning. I love the glass and the ceiling!

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Fori said "I'd avoid yellow grout. It just can't look good. I love yellow. But yellow grout is bad grout. I don't know why."

Can you elaborate? Does this apply to all yellow grout or just one you had a bad experience with? To be honest, I've only found one option for yellow grout, so it's not really that prevalent.

Does everyone else share the same feeling about using yellow grout? The only other option is white grout and I usually don't like the white of white grout with colored tile, I'm more along the lines of hiding grout lines rather than accentuating them.

Here is a photo of the shower with the completed tile.

• MongoCT
    7 years ago

Trojan-esque!

Yellow grout is an uncommon color, but you're using it for a reason. I don't see any reason to worry.

Since it IS an uncommon color, make sure the grout isn't more than a year old. Shelf life, etc.

Use distilled water, same ole warnings about too much water when cleaning up, etc.

uscpsycho thanked MongoCT
  • grannysmith18
    7 years ago

I'm on the yellow grout team. I think it should look fine - I also prefer grout to blend in with the tiles rather than contrasting with them.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Frankly I'm thrilled to see someone do something out of the ordinary and with color. Congrats. While I'm personally not a yellow person, I do like it. It's fun.

And I think those who saw the need to inject their own taste and comments into the discussion about how this is "bad" are just plain rude! He didn't ask for your color opinions, just the tile and grout choice.

I would be ok with either white or yellow grout on the yellow tile.

uscpsycho thanked cpartist
  • FeatherBee
    7 years ago

The colors are so bright and bold that I don't think the subway tile and mosaic catch your attention, therefore, I don't think the tile patterns clash. I'd just go with your vision and make it happen.

I'd go with yellow grout too...

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Would you go with yellow grout just for the yellow tile or for the red tile, too?Or is the red already grouted white? I can't tell.

I wouldn't go with yellow grout on the red tile. Red on red, and yellow on yellow?

Below. Red tile with brown grout, maybe pick a grout that would work with both yellow and red.

Black/dark gray?

uscpsycho thanked nosoccermom
  • uscpsycho
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone! I am going to go with red grout with the red tile and yellow grout with the yellow tile.

I am a die hard USC fan so nobody who knows me would be remotely surprised that I have a cardinal and gold steam shower. And adjacent to this bathroom is my home gym where the walls will be cardinal and gold, there are USC logos etched into the glass door and one of the mirrors, the gym equipment is powder coated cardinal and gold and the USC logo is embroidered into the pads of all the equipment. To be honest, it would probably be a mistake NOT to use cardinal and gold tile in the bathroom. LOL

You can't really see the floor in my photo but it is a brown leather-look tile with wide white grout lines, this is to replicate the look of a football.

MY house! MY way! :-)

• southofsa
    7 years ago

Sounds like it'll flow just fine with the rest of your space. Good for you.

Lisa

• enduring
    7 years ago

I'm liking that darkish grout with the red in the last pic above. Do make up some sample boards with several tile options. I would be heart broken if the yellow didn't mesh with your yellow tile. I'm with @nosoccermom, I'd look for a grout that could go with both tiles, like that brownish gray. But get several options and try them out on a sample board.

• MongoCT
    7 years ago

"You can't really see the floor in my photo but it is a brown
    leather-look tile with wide white grout lines, this is to replicate the
    look of a football."

USC? Football? I don't see a connection. Does USC have a football team?

Of course, consider that the previous light-hearted jab is coming from a guy who played football for a school that was better known for its students' abilities to use slide rules in the lab than their play on the gridiron. Go Engineers!

lol

• enduring
    7 years ago

If you I don't think I like a dark grout with the yellow tile. If you can't find a yellow to match I'd consider white to keep it light and fresh. You could use epoxi grout and it might not stain as readily.

• MongoCT
    7 years ago

(tongue-in-cheek) Plus the white epoxy might naturally discolor and yellow over time. In this case it's a "lose" that's really a "win"!

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    7 years ago

Kudos to you. Go bold or stay home. One other option: Laticrete translucent grout for the yellow. And not to second guess the seat but we would have suggested considering a solid surface custom color to match, "lucite type" material (would eliminate the grout issues completely and be lower maintenance). Have fun. Love the original thinkers.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

There is one red missing wall tile .... what is the purpose of it ?

When the white floor grout will get dirty , it will replicate exactly the football !

Don't wash it ! lol

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yellowing is only an issue with white epoxy, correct? Other epoxy colors won't become discolored over time, right?

That Laticrete translucent grout is their Plasma product and I have heard too many horror stories about that product. Besides, this is a steam shower so I will be using epoxy grout, urethane type grouts like Plasma aren't recommended for steam showers.

A solid surface bench would look cool but I think lucite would have issues. The biggest would be finding one to perfectly match the color of the tile. Another is that it might look weird because the glass tile is backpainted whereas colored lucite (at least all the ones I've seen) has through-body color so I don't know how that would look paired with glass. I think the reason we used mosaic on the bench instead of the subway is because mosaic gives your butt more traction and is less slippery. Same reason large glass tile on the floor is dangerous. From an aesthetic standpoint I would have preferred not to use the mosaic tile anywhere.

The white grout on the floor is Fusion Pro so hopefully that will never discolor. Someone please tell me it will never discolor! ;-)

The missing red tile is where the control for the steam shower goes. We needed to leave an opening for the control wire.

• housequester
    7 years ago

You're a die-hard USC fan? Never would have guessed by your user name, uscpsycho! LOL

• enduring
    7 years ago

I think the white epoxy on the yellow would be ok. I've not used white, only pale colors. But your tile is yellow and if the white is a tad yellow over time, you probably won't know it. that's just an opinion, not from experience with white and yellow.