SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_36621590

Framing lumber exposed to elements

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

While having our house framed, we had a historical/constant amount of rainfall for about a month and a half. The framing was up but there wasn't a roof for that month and a half (small crew and weather meant it took a lot longer than expected to get it up). Because of this there is quite a bit of what I can assume is mold on the framing. It doesn't look like 3D growth and it doesn't smudge if you touch it, rather it looks more like black marks/staining. So again, I assume it was growth but has dried out/died? I am pretty sure most of it appeared due to being exposed to all the rain.

Our carpenter is very competent/came highly recommended and says it's not really an issue/he wouldn't worry about it and that it does happen with pretty much all lumber. We are owner builders and I just am not sure how to proceed. Should we leave it and not worry about it since it is being dried in, doesn't appear to be 3D growth, and eventually will be dry-walled? Or should I use something like Concrobium to try and eliminate the spores/any unseen active mold. Have you had something similar happen? What did you do? Thank you, I appreciate any advice/input!

*I've attached a few photos. Sorry they are from so far away, but they are the only ones I have at the moment. These are from the first floor before the second floor and roof were on.

Comments (21)