SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Can I still plant garlic & shallots & red onion Zn 5a New England

petalique
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We e had some killing frosts but the ground is not frozen. My parsley is green, other allium greens are intact.

I meant to plant garlic cloves in ? October. Ditto with shallots. I don't know much of anything about alliums, other than I've planted the roots of scallions with success. I've also (last year) planted cloves of Asian (red) shallot. The grew, bloomed and I was busy and didn't know what to do with the little bulblets on the top of the green (?skype). In September, I just stuck some of these into the soil. Now they ave ~ 2" greens on them. I suspect that next September or earlier, the ? base of these will have shallots. ??

In this same garden area, I planted some punky globe red onions that were soft and sprouting. They grew green scallion like thick ?(name) then there was a flower and hundreds of little seeds that fell and began to grow. I didn't see any red onions at the base of all the green older foliage. The scallion like foliage is there a d looks good from early spring until snow and really low temps kill it off. Them these roots send more shoot up in early spring. This year August 2016 or so I removed the flower heads.

Call me a thick brick, but I don't get these plants, despite trying to eat about them. The foliage is up and strong. Are there supposed to be round, red onions under the green tops? I took a little peak on the surface, but didn't notice any onions ;) Should I just cut off the lush green tops for vegetable soup?

I have more of these (grocery store) red onions that went soft and are sprouting. Compost or plant them?

I bought some organic garlic and the farmer said I could eat them or plant them.

I would welcome some help. I mostly grow flowers, perennials and shrubs, and some vegetables. Alliums leave me confused.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES