SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Don't Like This Ad, Either

chisue
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The AARP/United HealthCare TV ads are misleading. They say that Medicare only pays 80% of a person's bills, which is true. They also say that the individual is responsible for the other 20%, which is misleading. It leads people to imagine whopping medical bills for care! They are only whopping until they are slashed by Medicare adjustments. Twenty percent of a Medicare-adjusted bill is pretty small change -- possibly a lot less than the thousands you'd pay every year to be 'protected' with a United HealthCare policy.

We have a Medicare supplemental policies that are about $85/mo. pp. These are the very comprehensive Plan F, but with a 'high deductible' of $2200 for each of us. We buy this to protect us from catastrophic medical bills. When I was in hospital two years ago for four nights and had multiple MD visits after that, I never got *close* to my deductible. My 20% of Medicare-adjusted costs was the hospital deductible plus about $350 for the whole year.

People shouldn't be suckered into paying more for Medicare supplemental policies than they are likely to ever pay out of pocket, once those whopper bills are pared by Medicare.

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County