SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joan754

Zone 2-3 Can I still plant tulip bulbs?

joan754
7 years ago

Hi. I live in Saskatchewan, Canada, where we get very cold winters (zone 2-3). I volunteer at a brand new seniors complex where they just did new landscaping this summer. They purchased a whole bunch of tulip and narcissus bulbs. They want to plant them now. Is it too late for bulbs in this zone? Do tulips and narcissus have to establish roots before freeze up. We are having unseasonably warm weather right now, 13 degrees celcius with the next week or so of the same without it freezing at night. However, we won't have it for much longer. I'm sure it will start freezing at night in the next week or so. I've read so much about tulips etc. on the internet and it says 6 weeks before freeze up but is that really necessary? I haven't really planted many bulbs so I'm not that experienced with tulips etc. Also, I think the soil is quite alkaline. I suggested to the activities people that we amend the soil with peat moss to bring it down to a more neutral PH. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH