SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mshutterbug

Table runner length with people sitting at ends of table?? Confused!

mshutterbug
7 years ago

My table is 96"x48", and I have two 12" extensions making it potentially 120" long. For Thanksgiving l plan to use the extensions. I'm going to make a table runner for holidays, but wondering how long to make it if I will have people sitting on the ends? The main purpose of the runner is to protect the wood from heat of serving dishes set in the middle, as well as for decorative. I don't want to do a tablecloth because I love my table and don't want to cover it up. So, with people sitting at either end, do I want the runner to hang down in their laps?? Or, do I make it shorter than the table, and if so, how much shorter? Help!

If I make it 108" then it would overhang the "correct" amount when my table is at its usual length and doesn't need anyone sitting at the ends. That would make it 6" shy of either end when extended. But then it would be partially underneath the placemats on the ends when the table is extended, which seems weird. It doesn't have to be usable at both sizes, but it would be nice to be able to use it to protect the table during everyday meals too (we don't always serve meals "family style" but I like the idea of being able to use the runner for this purpose.)

Ideas? Thoughts?

Comments (10)