SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golden_gardens

Miele 36" Fridge and Freezer Columns Info

golden_gardens
7 years ago

Hi - Since there seem to be few of these appliances out there, I am going to post my experience to date. These have been installed for about a month. I bought the fridge as a floor model. I got a large discount on it, so that worked (it does have a very small ding on the door that is hard to see unless the light is right.) It is the non-clean touch steel, but otherwise is the same as the current model. The freezer was a close out of the non-clean touch steel, and was still new in box. Got a small discount on that. It is also the same as the current model except for the door surface. I will be buying the extended warranty on both of these since most appliance problems I have had over the years have been with fridge/freezer.

The fridge has been very very nice. It is easy to see everything in it, and the food stays fresh so much longer. I've had an "experimental" box of organic strawberries in the drawer (with temp setting on vegetables since that is what is primarily in there) and they have not spoiled yet, after 3 weeks. It is kind of amazing. In the crappy old Whirlpool that was in this house before, I was lucky if they lasted 2 days before molding! (I even had salami grow mold in that fridge, which I had never seen happen before.)

The freezer, while beautiful to look at and easy to organize, has been problematic. We have a service call tomorrow (about 2 weeks out from when I called.) The ice maker doesn't work - it seems the drawer does not go back far enough to depress the on/off switch. When we stuck a piece of cardboard back there, it worked, but that pushed the ice drawer out enough that it affected the door seal and the temp went up and triggered an alarm.

Additionally, there is a mechanism (not uncommon in freezers) that suctions the door tightly closed after it's been open. You literally cannot open the door during this process, so if you open it to scoop some ice cream and close it while you're doing that, you have to wait a bit to be able to put the ice cream away. It's a bit of a hassle so far and the day will come when I forget to go back over to put something away.

Yesterday, during this suctioning process the freezer started making this loud, almost grinding sound (best description, but not quite accurate). It does it each time. That has been added onto my service call for tomorrow. I hope they will not have to pull the freezer out to evaluate this. I may regret not getting the sub-zero in that case.

I'll report back on the service call and will also try to update this in a few months after more use.

Happy to answer any questions on these appliances.

Comments (9)