SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Open letter to anyone wanting to get a real estate license ...

IdaClaire
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

http://www.inman.com/2014/04/04/an-open-letter-to-anyone-wanting-to-get-their-real-estate-license/

This is excellent.

I know someone who has recently left a lucrative paying job and is studying for her real estate license so that she can (according to her) sell high-end homes. It's absolutely none of my business, but I am concerned because it will undoubtedly negatively impact the financial situation of someone I care for, with whom she shares child custody. I have known her for many years and believe I know what she's "made of" - and it's not tough enough stuff to withstand the stress and strain of selling homes. I believe she sees it as a means by which she'll get rich while doing something quite pleasant. I'm tempted to print out this article and send it to her anonymously - but I won't. Aside from posting about it here and discussing with a couple of people close to me, I'm not that much of a busybody. I would also be extremely hesitant about crushing anyone's dream; I just wish that she would be realistic about what she's up against. I'm quite sure she does not have the full picture.

Our own trusted realtor is a friend that I've known for decades. She is a multi-million dollar producer for Century 21, but of course that by no means indicates that she makes a ton of money. She stays consistently busy, but it's still a struggle with some months - and even stretches of months - being very thin. I know with certainty that she's "on call" 24/7, and as stated in the article she has dealt with more than her fair share of extremely unbalanced clients. She's also one of the strongest, most tenacious people I've ever known. I couldn't do what she does.

Do you know anyone who has either succeeded or failed in the real estate business? Would love to share stories, especially if you yourself have experience and would care to share.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus