SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gldcc

New Kitchenaid induction Range Review

gldcc
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Being as I have gotten so much useful information from this site, I thought I would try to help by reviewing this range. It will take a few weeks before I can give a full review. In the meantime, here is why I chose this range. I had decided on induction. Then researched the many ranges with the help of the Appliance forum and some very good advice from you all. I initially ordered the freestanding Electrolux because of the good reviews. None of the inductions ranges were available to be seen in my area, so it was buying sight unseen. The Electrolux arrived and I was shocked. I have only had cooktops and wall ovens before, so this freestanding range with all the black glass and high back was a bit visually overwhelming. I know that sounds odd, but it was so big! The high back with all the controls seemed awkward to me. I didn't think I would like reaching over the cooktop to use them. Even though, through photos, I was aware of all the icons for the oven, the difference uses etc, if just felt unnecessarily complex. I didn't love it. I was disappointed. And I didn't even try it out. Thought about it a few days and returned it. I am sure that it is a good range, even a great one, but it just wasn't for me. A case of form being important, if not as important as function. I did a bit more research and found that the kitchenaid was available at one store and with no wait at all. For me the important elements that appealed to me were simmer button on all hobs, the sliding temperature selector rather than + - buttons, bridging, on/off for each hob, back vent etc.

It arrived today and I love it! I am so happy that I made the exchange. Visually it pleases me, because it is a slide in, though freestanding, it doesn't have the large control panel in back. Feels more familiar to me. It does not extend over the countertops, which is what I wanted. It goes smack up against the wall with no problem. It vents at the back. I have only boiled water on all burners. It was extraordinarily fast. My induction hot plate did not prepare me for the speed of real induction. I was using a smallish saute pan and it worked well on all hobs. I really love the sliding temperature thing. You can select any number and that's were it will go, or slide your finger up the scale. Tomorrow I will do some experimenting. I do not have my counters or sink yet, so not a functional kitchen. Real cooking will have to wait, but I can try out some functions in the meantime. here is a photo, please excuse the unfinished kitchen around it. White cabinet is temporary. And a big thank you to all of you who answered all my questions. Jwvideo you had some great advice.

Comments (46)