SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jtoz1234

Central Vac system?

jbeth joy
7 years ago

We are considering putting in a central vacuum system before we finish our basement. Is it worth the cost? What brands are the best? The only rooms with carpet are the bedrooms, everything else is hardwood. We are trying to decide between just getting a good Dyson or jumping into a central vac unit. Any input is appreciated as we have never used a central vac and don't know if we will like it.

Comments (22)

• rwiegand
    7 years ago

We had one in our last house, decided not to put one in the new house. The hose was a pain in the neck to drag around relative to a new lightweight vacuum cleaner. I miss the hatch in the kitchen that acts like a dustpan, but not the rest of the system.

jbeth joy thanked rwiegand
  • hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    7 years ago

Hide-a-hose solves the hose problem. Wish I had the Hide-a-hose, but I love my central vac because it is much more powerful than a stand-alone. I also have a connection in the garage that we use to vacuum out our cars--makes it so easy to keep the inside of the car clean.

Can't advise you on brands--ours came with the house. If you do a search in garden web there are quite a few threads on central vacs in various forums.

jbeth joy thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • Related Discussions

central vac system - nilfisk

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm not familiar with that brand but I have had an Electrolx when I had a hair salon, They are now called Aerus. In my former home I had a Silent Master, and her I have a Vacuflo 960. It has 960 Air Watts, hence the name. It is still running fine after 12 years.
    ...See More

Choosing a central vac system: bean, galaxie, drainvac

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi kj2000, I have had a Beam system with a Stealth power head since mid-2005. There have been absolutely no problems, & like chinook, I love having a central vac. Try a search of all forums for central vac. There are many comments & evaluations in the Building a Home, Cleaning & Appliances forums.
    ...See More

Central Vac System -My Builder's response!

Q

Comments (20)
    The house we lived in for the past 23 years had a central vac when we moved in. No clogs in that time, although one of our foreign exchange students DID suck up one of his socks under his bed once. He was fascinated by our central vac (even took photos of it to send home to his family) and thought it was hilarious! After a lot of cursing, DH found the sock inside the hose near the junction with the wall outlet, using a clothes hanger...simplest tool known to mankind. Our new house has a central vac and vacpan. The GC didn't blink when I said that I wanted a central vacuum. I love it...or as much as a person can love a vacuum...a dreaded household task!
    ...See More

Can I do a toe kick vac without a central vac system?

Q

Comments (10)
    You can do the mini-central vac system - which is a shop vac hooked up to a toe kick vac-pan. If you have a crawlspace under the kitchen - it is pretty easy and cheap to do. They talk about it in the kitchen forum. The vac-pan has a low voltage switch so you could use a relay but it is easier to install a wall switch near the pan and just leave the vac-pan open. The vac pans are pretty hard to open anyway if they are in a toe kick. Turning on the switch would be just like hitting the switch for the garbage disposal. You can buy a $50 shop vac for this purpose.
    ...See More
  • ocscott
    7 years ago

I have a central vacuum system and a TOL Dyson ball upright and I can tell you the central vac is leaps and bounds above the Dyson on hardwood floors and ANY cleaning jobs invoking the use of tools - dusting vents, cleaning stairs, sofas and the car. We have a MD Silentmaster central vacuum system with around 8 standard wall outlets that take a regular electric hose, vac pans, and we retrofitted a hide a hose outlet for the main level of our home which is hardwood. If I had to do it all over again I would only get the hide a hose outlets rather than the standard wall outlets. I hate coiling up the regular hose but with the hide a hose you just suck the hose back into the wall. They finally made an electric power head you can use with hide a hose so it works great on carpeting which used to be its downfall. I'd say if you are only interested in cleaning carpets then go with the Dyson. If you want to clean everywhere in your home central vac cannot be beat.

jbeth joy thanked ocscott
  • User
    7 years ago

I love our hide-a-hose system. I wouldn't go back to a regular vacuum for hardwood floors....

jbeth joy thanked User
  • bry911
    7 years ago

I personally don't think they are worth the money anymore. I think every one of my houses for the last 15 years has had a central vac. However, my (recently purchased) current house doesn't, even though it is fully hosed and ready for the motor we got two robot vacuums instead and our house is much cleaner than it has ever been for much less cost.

Although, the suction is a bit less, they run daily while we are at work. We have essentially gone from a thorough weekly vacuum to a less thorough daily vacuum and I absolutely love it. I am now thinking about getting a robot mower.

jbeth joy thanked bry911
  • Oaktown
    7 years ago

We also have a Silentmaster, with hide-a-hose, and I think it is great.

Was contemplating getting a robot vacuum too. bry911 do you think it would be worthwhile in a house that always has a few (and at times, quite a few!) small Lego pieces on the floor? My main concern is Lego bits breaking a robot vacuum -- likely or not?

jbeth joy thanked Oaktown
  • bry911
    7 years ago

Personally, I have found small light rugs to be a bigger problem than small objects. I really don't know about legos sorry, but I doubt they will break the robot vacuum. My experience is that it mostly moves objects around or sucks them up. Anything big enough to roll over ends up in the dust bin and anything too big to roll over ends up against a wall. But that is only my experience.

jbeth joy thanked bry911
  • ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Yes, especially nice for hard surfaces. Nothing works as well, imho. My last house did not have the hide a hose. I plan to get a bid on a system like this.

jbeth joy thanked ILoveRed
  • worthy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We so love dragging around a quart of household dirt, dumping it and washing and drying filters weekly we can't imagine going back to a central vac with a self-cleaning filter and a disposable bag changed every six months.

jbeth joy thanked worthy
  • chispa
    7 years ago

Yes, get a central vac system, well worth the cost.

We built a guest house a few years ago and my only regret is that I did not include a CV system. We had a robot vac in the guest house , but it was ruining the hand knotted wool & silk area rug.

My parents just built a house and after years of seeing/trying our CV systems, this time around they added a hide-a-hose and are very happy with it.

jbeth joy thanked chispa
  • sail_away
    7 years ago

Love, love, love central vac. We had a Vacuflo in our previous home (for 25 years), and it is still going strong. Getting another Vacuflo was a priority for us when finding our next home. We ended up building, and installed another Vacuflo, only this time it was the Hide-A-Hose. I love this one even more than my previous, since I no longer have to find a place to store the hose or deal with pulling it out and coiling it back up to put away. Also, my one complaint with our previous central vac was that the hose would sometimes kink and I'd have to straighten it out to continue vacuuming---it wasn't bad enough to prevent me from wanting another central vac, but it was irritating. With the H-A-H, I have not had a single kink in the hose. It is much lighter than my old central vac, yet works beautifully. We have installed hard flooring throughout our new home, so no carpets---just a couple rugs at entrances to the house.

I have used a couple other central vacs---helping friends with clean up---and I have not liked them as well as the Vacuflo. I felt our Vacuflo had better suction and also found it easier to use, but maybe it's just because that's what I'm used to. I do remember we did a lot of research before installing it in our previous home, and our research led us to choose the Vacuflo. There are more brands out there than there were 25 years ago, so maybe there are others just as good or, possibly, better. I just don't know about them.

When showing friends through the house, I always show them the Hide-A-Hose, because it is such an important part of the house for us. Today I had to give my daughter a haircut. When finished, I just pulled out a short section of the hose from the wall, quickly vacuumed up the hair, and I was finished! I could go on and on ... I truly love my Vacuflo.

jbeth joy thanked sail_away
  • mrspete
    7 years ago

Another vote for the Roomba. I hate everything about vacuuming, regardless of the type of equipment, so I love being able to click "CLEAN" and watching this little fellow take off. Nothing is less work.

The negatives: You have to dump the little container every time you run the Roomba (15 seconds). You have to clean the small beater brush more frequently than a larger vacuum (once a month?). You still need a regular vacuum for big jobs like cleaning up after the Christmas tree, and it can't handle things like vacuuming upholstered furniture and curtains.

But for every day cleaning, you can't beat it.

• petalique
    7 years ago

We have a central vac. No name, but has a lot of power. We bough a stockinet (stretchy knit) sleeve for the hose so that it won't mar woodwork and furniture. We keep the hose coiled up on a peg in a closet.

Aside from the power, I appreciate that there are no spewed dust particles in the house. Sometimes for small things, I would bind having a lightweight stick vac.

jbeth joy thanked petalique
  • numbersjunkie
    7 years ago

I had a Sears central vac installed when we built 30 years ago. Five years ago we redid the kitchen and I had DH install. Hide a hose outet for a 50 ft hose. We hooked it to the old Sears unit. Not ideal, but it works. I hated the old house but the hide a hose is wonderful. We're now remodeling our vacation home that also had an old Sears unit. Im having him add the hide a hose there too. Definitely worth it. But a regular central vac system, I would pass on that.

jbeth joy thanked numbersjunkie
  • jbeth joy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We actually have a Roomba. I liked it at first, but with 3 small kids it's just not economical. I have to be super careful to pick up all their small toys, strings etc. or it gets jammed or tangled in the brush. I have to make sure to close their bedroom doors because if they leave any clothing on the floor it gets wound up and jammed (socks in particular which always seem to be all over the house) It doesn't sound like much work but I find myself chasing the Roomba to make sure I get things picked up and as soon as I turn around my 2 year old has something else out that will cause problems. It also takes so long to clean the whole room (being open concept) that I can't use it for quick clean ups, which happen all day long in the kitchen. so I end up just sweeping with a broom several times a day. I don't seem to have to clean the beater bar on my upright very often, but the Roomba brush has to be cleaned a few times per month which I despise because it is messy. If I wasn't home all day and could just pick up before leaving the house I may like it better. I also have the virtual wall which works great to keep it contained in a specific area, except for my 2 year old always picking it up and relocating it ;)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    7 years ago

As petalique said, the cloth covers you can get for the hose (if you don't get hide-a-hose) really help--the covers help the hose move around furniture and such more easily and quietly

jbeth joy thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • Sandy
    7 years ago

I like the Roomba since it goes under the furniture. Our biggest drawback with the unit is the cat likes to turn it on in the middle of the night. She won't ride on it, but she is fascinated watching in go.

My husband finally built a media cabinet/shelf that sits over it with a hole in the bottom shelf to hit the button to get it going.

jbeth joy thanked Sandy
  • sis33
    7 years ago

We have a central vac with Hide A Hose (10 years now) plus a Roomba and a Braava. Robots are great but have several limitations. Hide A Hose makes a good idea (central vac) near perfect! We are soon to build a new house. My 'must have' list begins with "cv with HAH"!

jbeth joy thanked sis33
  • sail_away
    7 years ago

I just realized that, despite all my words in praise of the central vac, I never mentioned the reason we got one in the first place. I have extremely severe allergies, with asthma that is triggered by my allergies, among other things. Having a central vac is essential.

jbeth joy thanked sail_away
  • rwiegand
    7 years ago

Love the idea of a roomba, and have owned three different generations of them. In a house with more than minimal furniture and lots of oriental rugs they just don't work yet. Ours will run for maybe five minutes before they either run themselves into a corner they can't get out of or suck up the fringe on one of the rugs and die. They are effective cat toys, but in our house require constant intervention, which pretty much defeats the purpose.

• bry911
    7 years ago

I have a Neato Botvac and it rarely gets stuck. It runs daily while we work and I haven't had to pick it up in weeks. We definitely don't have minimal furniture and it has no trouble. It navigates around 10 chairs and 6 table legs in a kitchen, and while saying it is effortless is a stretch, it always manages to get in and get out.

We do have a small half bath that it manages to lock itself in if we leave the door open but I have been pleasantly surprised. But we don't have small kids, so no small toys.

My allergies react to vacuuming pretty severely so usually I had to leave the house as vacuuming was happening. We used a central vacuum that was vented outside. So far, so good on the allergies with the Botvac running at work.