SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Failed Sinksetter Type Sink Installation

Joseph Corlett, LLC
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This stainless steel sink is failing.

Its had a Sinksetter style bracket installed on each end instead of the proper offset sink bracket installed front and back. Stainless steel sinks do not flex front to back, but they do flex side to side. Greatly. Oh, and there's the ever-helpful scrap of plywood screwed to help out.

Polyseamseal or another brand of latex caulk has been used instead of 100% silicone. Fortunately, I'm repairing this before this leaker has rusted any reinforcing rods in the top, causing them to expand and split the stone.

Closeup of grossness.

Sometimes you get more than just sink problems. The flexible drain line on the right is code-approved nowhere, but the real danger is the unvented trap. Improperly placed, the Studor is only venting the disposal drain. An unvented trap can evacuate, allowing poison sewer gas into living space. This kills several people a year, usually infants. This has uninformed do-it-yourselfer written all over it.

The Studor is placed as high as it can go and in front of each trap. No flexidoodle in sight.

I secured the sink with the pictured Hercules Universal Sink Harness.

Sorry I didn't get a finished sink pic, but believe me, it looked good.

Comment