SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daethon

Help with under cabinet lighting...

Huntting B
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So we weren't paying attention and our electrician put in the cheapest looking under cabinet lights I've ever seen into our brand new kitchen. They look like florescent/shop lights (even have their own power switch).

So, we're going to fix it. Good news: small area/small amount of lighting.

Question is: what are our options/what do we need to get? We can't get into the walls anymore, and really would rather not ruin our cabinets over this.

We had discussed/were expecting tape type LED lighting at the front of the framed cabinets, and that's what we'd ideally have. Would love it to be dimmable, at the wall switch, but it's OK if it isn't.

Best I can tell the set up is: regular wall switch controlling Romex style power cables in the wall going into each fixture. So, what do we do? Because the cabinets are odd sizes we really would ideally get something that can be cut vs fixed lengths. So I was looking at the WAC lights.

But without the ability to rewire, how do we connect it all? I came across LED-TC-B-2 and the TB-S wiring box but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at. Ideally we'd have something that accepts romex on one side and connects to a strip on the other, is as small/unobtrusive as possible and least invasive.

If the TC-B, TC-B-2 or the TB-S is the answer, do we need a transformer still? It doesn't appear so, but I am out of my stead here.

Finally, if any of you have used WAC specifically, if we get a 5 foot length, can you cut it multiple times and turn it into multiple runs? We probably need a 1 foot, 20 inch and a 14" piece, so I would think a single 5 foot spool would work, and be less wasteful than getting (5) 1 foot pieces and getting multiple joiners for it.

Thank you for your help in fixing this up!

Comments (3)