SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thechestnutmare

Shade shrubs and perennials for south of Houston area

thechestnutmare
7 years ago

Disclaimer: I am completely new to gardening and have no idea what I'm doing!

I would like to revamp our landscaping in the front of the house, but am so overwhelmed with where to even start.

As the title says, I'm in the Houston area (south of Houston), and my home faces north. We also have a very large tree (elm?? possibly??), so it's almost entirely shaded, except for some morning and evening light, depending on the seasons. Right now all that is there are a few shrubs which I think are Waxleaf Privet, although they have not bloomed in several years. I'm open to tearing them out.

I'm looking for hardy plants since I'm an amateur gardener, and blooms are not too important, but would be great. I'm looking for variation with leaf color and shapes. I am not at all into rows of boxwood or stale builder grade type landscaping - I like a lot of color and variation in height.

I have no idea what my soil type is, but in the back yard, where there is more sun, I have some flourishing plumbago, Mexican heather, and Angelonia. Also some very scrawny knockout roses, that need major help...

On my list currently are:

Gardenias

Pittsoporum

Moneywort

Black Mondo Grass

Liriope

Bergenia

Barberry

Turks Cap

Can someone tell me if these are suitable for the location, and also, what else can I consider? And what can I plant now, and what needs to wait for spring?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (16)