SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjwb

I need advice for my estate sale buffet!

nancyjwb
7 years ago

(xpost from antiques and collectibles because I want your opinion too;)

I purchased this buffet for $35 at an estate sale a few years ago. I cleaned it with some Bona furniture polish and I've been using it. (Don't mind the estate sale paintings propped on top;) Can anyone give a guess as to what style it is, and the wood it's made from? (more pictures below) The top is very gray looking, with a few rings and there are a few silvery stains/splashes on the left hand door, so I would like to rub it with something to shine it up again. I like the antique furniture look and I definitely don't want to make it fake shiny with poly or anything, but I would like to remove the stains that are there and protect it with something, probably wax.

In a Martha Stewart Living a few years ago, there was an article on Christophe Pourny and his recommended furniture restoration techniques, one of which they called tung oil quench and involved rubbing and buffing with a mixture of tung oil and turpentine and steel wool. Supposedly this cleans and rejuvenates the wood. I've been considering doing that, but I'm scared to do something that may not be right for this particular piece of furniture. Could anyone advise as to what the best way is to bring this piece back to its former beauty?

Comments (10)