SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coriannh0uzzviolatedmyprivacy

Umbrella Rose Tree Trellis in the Making

So... I love antique roses like everyone within this forum. I also love the classic look of roses with metal. Metal arbors, metal trellises, metal obelisks. I really love the look of roses in umbrella trellises or tree trellises. BUT... they just aren't available in the states. Argh! So... I ranted about it a bit on the rose forum (in this post: Umbrella Trellis) along with saying I could probably make my own. I know how to weld and have made a couple metal sculptures before, but don't have access to a welder now. Even so, I was encouraged to try by others on the rose forum.... and voila. Here it is...

It's still in the making because I need to decide how I want to set it (quick set concrete and a little raised bed is my current thought) and how I want to stabilize it further (could rent a welder, find someone with a welder, clamp it, continue to tie it as the current ties break down, etc).

I am really happy with it! The two dimensional photos don't quite capture it. It looks spindly in the photos, but in person it's quite cool and more substantial looking.

I'm thinking of putting Sally Holmes on the outskirts of the "trunk." Sally Holmes doesn't really need supports... she kind of becomes a tree herself, so I think it might look pretty cool to have Sally and the rebar tree as the main support "base," then to also have another rose weaving and arching in between the two. The "trunk" is 2 feet in diameter at the bottom, so there's possibly room for Sally and another if I plant them on the outskirts. What do you think? Is Sally a good choice for this rebar tree? Should I chose another? Although a climbing/weeping rose would look lovely, I think it would just get too big (remember I'm in CA) and end up being a disaster and breaking or bending the rebar limbs.

Those are just my thoughts though... what are yours? I'm totally undecided at this point. But excited for the potential of how this will turn out! :)

Comments (34)