SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelleybandg

Assessment of bid on Trane A/C and gas furnace

kelleybandg
7 years ago

First time central system install in 1960 rancher in coastal Louisiana. About 1300 sq ft 3bdrm, 2 bath single floor with new R30 in attic and R13 in exterior walls. Summers get to high 90s, winters sometime high 20s. Bid is for XR16 single stage 3 ton A/C 15-16 seer and X- 80 gas furnace with variable speed indoor fan. Regular Trane warranties plus 10 year labor. Guarantee 30% energy savings. 5 yr no lemon warranty. Bid includes all duct work, platform, lines, pans, float switches, pad, touch digital thermostat, electrical and plumbing connections. $9877 Bidder said XL 80 variable speed furnace but manager called to say it should be XT 80 single speed furnace to match A/c.

2nd Trane dealer quotes XR16 a/c and Xt 80 furnace with 10-10-1 yrs regular Trane warranties (no labor) with all first time install requirements for this equipment at $10, 620.

American standard dealer bid 14 seer and furnace basic set up at $9700. 16 seer variable speed set up at $13000.

Lot of the cost is the ductwork and basic first time set up in the attic.

Any thoughts appreciated. I am leaning toward first quote for basic system with the 10 yr labor and no lemon warranties. Have read online that their have been problems with the XR and XT 80 Trane gas furnaces so these warranties help with those concerns. I went with these bids because Consumer reports have these two brands as most reliable.

Thanks for any advice. Hope I did it right this time.

Comments (28)