Cook's Illustrated
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (24)
Related Discussions
Cook's Illustrated Brownies
Comments (3)I've made CI's brownie recipe (previous issue - not sure if it is identical to this month's recipe) and they were heavenly. The recipe was for an 8 x 8 pan. I doubled the recipe exactly and put it in a 9 x 13 pan. I made a few batches for my girls' birthday to take to school. The best one was when I allowed the edges to brown a bit because it gives a great crunch. The center was cooked. Kari...See MoreCooks Illustrated subscription
Comments (29)I have three experience with CI. One is a "Fix it and forget it" cookbook my mom got me--basically casserole meals for the stovetop, oven, and slow cooker. Mostly fattening meat eater fare, so I don't use it much. The recipes I've tried have been OK, not out of this world and their version has never been my definitive one, despite what they claim. I guess mom got it for me so maybe I would make some of those dishes when the 'rents visit, it's really more their style of eating. I watch their show on PBS and enjoy it, but again, mostly meat stuff so not for me. I recently tracked down their blueberry scones recipe because I like fresh fruit in scones but don't like how they get all mushed up. The America's Test Kitchen show I watched on the scones had a folding technique for incorporating the berries. The recipe had all kinds of other fru fru stuff, like grating the frozen butter, freezing the dough for 5 minutes halfway through, etc. The scones turned out OK, kinda doughy, and not any better than any other recipe I have tried, except the folding part about the fruit. The third experience I had was having pumpkin cheesecake at a friend's house, and it was absolutely out of this world, by far the best I have ever had. I normally don't even like it!! She gave me a copy of the article she got the recipe from. Their fussy technique of pressing the pumpkin puree between paper towels to remove some of the liquid really did make a difference it that case. When they review brands, they only review a smattering of the options available. On the plus side, at least they try to be innovative and helpful, and the recipes are not over shadowed by personalities....See Morecooks illustrated cookbooks
Comments (18)See, I have a beef with Cook's Illustrated (aka, America's Test Kitchen & Cooks Country). They are not very "customer" friendly, IMO. I had trouble once with a bill from them for their CI magazine (one I didn't owe, I might add) and they were very nasty and threatening. There are also a lot of complaints about them on line regarding their billing practices so I know it was not just me running into problems with them. That being said, I do like their recipes! I watch their shows but, of course, you can't go to their website and see the recipes unless you subscribe (another pet peeve I have). However, with a little googling, I have found every one of their recipes somewhere else - for free. Years ago I bought a few of their cookbooks, but to be honest, I never use them. The cookbooks I use the most are the Barefoot Contessa's books - I have all of them - about 10 of them. I can't think of one recipe of hers that hasn't been delicious (and easy). Also, my two other favorite resources is allrecipes.com and food.com. On their sites you can ask it to show you the ingredient list for 2 people and I find that very helpful, since we are empty nesters also and don't like leftovers....See MoreSubstitute for wine recommended by Cook's Illustrated a few years
Comments (9)Ditto on Vermouth (mom used it long before Julia Child popularized it for cooking) I also keep Sherry, Madiera or Port on hand to add when the recipe or marinade requires it. Unsweetened grape juice, actually the must is called Verjus. It's not as easy to locate, but a good sub for some recipes. I also keep a variety of vinegars on hand including fig, balsamic (white & red), orange & other fruits, rice vinegar, red & white wine vinegar and the more common white & cider vinegar. Another idea for cooking wines is to buy those half bottles which have screw tops and keep easily in the fridge between uses....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: Elegant Updates for a Serious Cook
High-end appliances and finishes, and a more open layout, give a home chef in California everything she needs
Full Story
KITCHEN APPLIANCESLove to Cook? You Need a Fan. Find the Right Kind for You
Don't send budget dollars up in smoke when you need new kitchen ventilation. Here are 9 top types to consider
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNA Kitchen That Cooks With Color and Creativity
Painted cabinets, eye-catching appliances and personal touches give this country kitchen a playful, personal feel
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNCooking With Color: When to Use White in the Kitchen
Make sure your snowy walls, cabinets and counters don't feel cold while you're riding white's popularity peak
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNCooking With Color: When to Use Red in the Kitchen
Candy Apple Red, Red Licorice and more for your kitchen walls, cabinets or island? The color choices are as delicious as they sound
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNCooking With Color: When to Use Green in the Kitchen
Consider a taste of Romaine or Pale Green Tea to make your kitchen walls or cabinets the freshest ones around
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREModern or Contemporary: What's the Difference?
10 homes illustrate the essence of modern and contemporary home design styles
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: Eclectic Row House in London
Vintage treasures, original illustrations and family keepsakes make this bright home just right for a British family of four
Full Story
SMALL KITCHENS12 Genius Design Moves for Small Kitchens
These space-enhancing tricks can make compact cooking zones look and feel larger
Full Story
User