SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slagathor

My sink has a bar behind it with no back splash and I am going insane.

slagathor
7 years ago

My home was built in 2006, the entire kitchen has one counter with a cut out in the middle for the oven. Where my sink is, the dining room is behind it (so if you're washing dishes you would be looking at the dining room) and it's carpeted. The portion of the counter behind my sink is a bar, however it was not built like most bars that are behind a sink. The counter and bar are the same height and there is no back splash behind it.

I wish I was joking when I say that I'm on the verge of tearing out my entire counter set up just to redo this one part.

That's why I'm here now, I have played around with different ideas and cannot seem to find anything that prevents water from splashing out to the bar and this problem is what is driving me insane. I have tried adding a planter box so that it blocks it, water still gets underneath it and spreads or just gets nasty. I have even tried completely changing the way I do my dishes by just using a low pressure and basically having everything touching the bottom of the sink. Literally nothing prevents it.

I really just need ideas for a good back splash I can possibly build and add to it. I would love to add some type of slot where I can add a long planter box, I just don't know how to create something that would look good and have a good seal to it to prevent moisture from building up underneath it. I can't post pictures right now unfortunately since I'm at work but I've made a very crude sketch in MS Paint. Also, the counters are some type of cheapo's, they're wood underneath but the top has some type of laminate or plastic coating that makes it look like some kind of white marble? Not sure if that matters.

Comments (23)