SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coriannh0uzzviolatedmyprivacy

How do Christmas lights on/near roses affect plant growth and insects?

I am posting this question here because I originally posted it in "vegetables," but got unhelpful responses. I appreciate any advice someone may have...

I have 4 raised bed potager garden beds, currently filled with different lettuces and miniature roses in the middle. I have little metal sphere trellises in each raised bed and thought it would be lovely to wrap mini solar Christmas lights around the trellis.

I did this with one, then realized it might affect the good/bad bugs at night. Lights do attract certain insects... Any thoughts?

The solar Christmas lights stay on automatically for about 8 hours at night. They work great! And they do look lovely! But maybe I should put them with something else if it's going to affect my veggies or my newly planted temperamental little grey pearl miniature rose.

It won't be so lovely if I start to see little bug bites taken out of my roses and lettuces, or if it offsets the bug balance in some other way. Although maybe it will unbalance it in a favorable way? I'm not so sure which insects in particular are attracted to lights or how little lights at night affect plant growth. Maybe I should just put the lights somewhere else?

They are copper wire solar fairy lights. Highly recommend! https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GHI7KX8/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for your thoughts and advice!

Comments (6)