SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Composting questions

hairmetal4ever
7 years ago

Some general composting questions.

In the past I just piled it up and hoped for the best with varied results, often a stinky mess from anaerobic bacteria.

I started a pile about 2 weeks ago, and it’s a mix of the following materials:

-wood chips from stump removal

-grass clippings

-fair amount of tree leaves that have fallen already and were mowed up along with the grass

-yellowed/browned pine needles (also sucked up by the mower)

-cardboard scraps

I’ve turned it every 3-5 days and kept it moist. The weather has been dry, and the last few days, also pretty warm for October. Last week we had nights in the 30s, this week we’ve had highs in the 80s. In general it seems SLIGHTLY moist and I douse it with the hose every few days, although it’s in shade for 80% of the day now due to the low sun angle. The pile is about 8’ X 4’ and was about 3’ high, but is now only about 18” high.

As I turn it and mix it, the grass has turned an ashen color and the odor is mostly earthy, little to no ammonia smell, but none of the other materials appear to have changed at all. It’s a bit warm to the touch but not “hot” like people say it should be. I did add some Espoma “compost starter” to it as well.

Am I better off adding new material as I get it, or starting a new pile? I have a large enough area that I can start a couple more piles. My wife and I want to start collecting kitchen scraps to add as well.

Winter is coming (cue Jon Snow for GOT fans). Should I keep turning it, or let it sit so at least the inside stays warm for a while?

Any other advice?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals