SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_argentieri40

Newbie with questions!

7 years ago

Hello, and thanks for this forum! We've just moved from Chicago and purchased a lovely old home in Monroe, NC and we have modest ambitions for our property. I have dozens and dozens of questions, but for now I will restrict myself to a few (not wanting to annoy you all too much...) We have a backyard with some issues...I will include photos.

1) Heavily shaded lawn beneath huge old pecan tree. I've sown a five-pound bag of white clover and some has taken, but I am not near getting the ground cover I desire. What should I try? Is there a good mix that is shade and drought resistant that will take and spread?

2) Tea olives along shared fence? This area gets dappled sunlight for several hours a day. I am thinking of 3-4 tea olives, will they thrive, or is there a superior alternative?

3) Knock-Out rose bushes along front fence. This area gets good sun for several hours a day. Will they thrive? Is there a better choice for flowering shrubs, perennials in this area?

4) Sedum and/or phlox for groundcover alongside the house? Good or bad idea?

5) Inherited rose bush--I have cut it back severely, as it was overgrown and non-productive. It keeps coming back, as you can hopefully see from the photo. Is this a lost cause or can I revive it to blooming productivity?

6) Camellias along the shared fence--as you can see in the photos, the previous owner put these here and they have clearly not done well. Can I/should I try to move them? What conditions do they like? Oh, and when the heck do they bloom? I have several others around the property with buds.

Thank you so much for reading and any help you can provide. Right now I have lots of questions but hopefully down the road I will be able to contribute!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations