SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlhart76

2016 Seed Swap

jlhart76
7 years ago

We talked about a seed swap a few months ago, so here's the official sign up. Tentative plan is to have everyone mail in your seeds by Nov 15, then I'll return them before thanksgiving (Christmas is coming early this year.) I'm finishing up one I organized on facebook, so between my lessons learned there and the comments and suggestions on the earlier thread, here's my version of rules.

RULES:
1. Send me a PM and I'll reply with my address. Comment on here if I don't respond, just in case I miss it.

2. Mail me your seeds in a bubble envelope, and include postage or cash for the return trip (include a little extra just in case returning costs more than sending). I'll put the unused stamps/money back in your envelope. Deadline is Nov 15, and I'll try to get everything sent back before thanksgiving.
2a. PLEASE make sure you put enough postage on, and include enough for the return! My last swap I had 2 packages with insufficient postage, and one got lost by the post office. I know I'm not responsible, but I feel guilty all the same. Most of the envelopes came out to just over $2 for 20 packets, so I'd say send at least $3.
2b. 20 is a good assortment, but if you want to be overly generous feel free to send in more and I'll split them between everyone. So you're guaranteed to get back at least 20 packs. And no more than 5 packets of the same item. The more variety you send, the more variety you'll get back.
2c. If you're new to seed starting and don't have a very large stockpile, send them anyways. I'll trade out one-to-one (you send me 5 packs, I'll send back 5) plus some of the extras, if we get enough.
2d. How many seeds to include: Send a "fair amount" (whatever you'd be happy receiving in a trade). I know, that's open to interpretation. Ive been told 6-10 of most things, larger amounts of lettuce or carrots, fewer if it's something rare. If in doubt, ask.

3. What to send: anything that grows! Flowers, veggies, you name it. Just include the year, whether it was commercially grown or harvested, and whatever information you can.
3a. I'm limiting this to newer seeds, so only include seeds packed or harvested 2014-2016. (Unless you're sending it for a specific person and they don't mind getting older seeds.)
3b. If you're sending something for a specific person, make sure it's well labeled and I'll include it with their pile. I'll start a thread for haves and wants.

4. Also include a wish list if you want, and I'll do my best to accommodate it (if possible). Be as general or specific as you like. So if you're looking for a specific tomato, want purple flowers, or do not want beans, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Comments (20)

• nowyousedum
    7 years ago

Following

• baabaamilker
    7 years ago

I'm interested in doing this and a little apprehensive because I'm new to saving seed I have managed to save quite a bit. I've even saved seed from some things that I don't know the exact name, like some marigolds that I took care of at church. I would assume it would be best to just send in the ones that I know the exact variety?

• jlhart76
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ill let everyone else decide, since I know some people aren't happy with growing unknowns. Personally I don't mind, but my seed box is full of envelopes that say "pretty flowers in front of the office" because I have no idea what they are. I say if you can at least identify it as a marigold, that should be fine, just give as much info as you can (red and yellow marigolds, about 18" high, etc). And if it's completely unlabeled, knowing me I'll put it in my pile. I'm always growing unknown plants so what's one more.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    7 years ago

I really haven't saved seed this year. Hope you all have fun. If you don't get enough activity here, and you are ready to take on a big group, try the Oklahoma Gardening Network on facebook. There are close to 3500 members over there.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    7 years ago

I haven't saved any seed this year either, and I certainly don't need to get involved in a swap and obtain more seed. (grin) I hope you have a very successful seed swap.

• jlhart76
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So far only 2 have contacted me, plus I have a friend who wants to participate. I'll wait a bit longer, see if anyone else wants to participate, but if no one else is interested in I may wait until Jan or Feb.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    7 years ago

It could be that since the gardening season hasn't ended, folks still have plants setting seed in the garden and haven't even collected the seeds yet as they're waiting for them to mature. Waiting until deeper in the season to do the seed swap might be a good idea if you don't get more participants anytime soon.

• shp123
    7 years ago

Suggestion... Repost I the exchange forum. I will hold off sending you the seeds until decision made regarding postponing. Thanks.

• jlhart76
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have 6 participating now, after posting to another garden group. Deadline to send in has moved to Dec 1, so that gives more time to harvest.

• shp123
    7 years ago

Great. I have 20 seeds packets ready to go. I can include more if you think we have enough participants.

• jlhart76
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Send whatever you feel comfortable with. Just remember, you may not get back as much as you sent, especially if you send in a lot more than everyone else.

• Melissa
    7 years ago

As much as I wanted to do the seed swap, I just don't have enough. I am still trying to build back up my seeds. Hopefully, next year I'll be ready. Good luck and happy "seeding"!! :)

• jlhart76
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! That's awfully generous of you.

• baabaamilker
    7 years ago

Sending mine tomorrow. Sorry I'm a little late, this is new territory for me.

• baabaamilker
    7 years ago

Hope everything arrived safely. After I sent them I learned about asking them to hand stamp. I don't mind trying older seed that chickencoupe offered.

• soonergrandmom
    7 years ago

Just a suggestion. You might have better luck with packages if you wait until January. Things can sure get mixed up in the Christmas package season.

• jlhart76
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Baabaamilker, yes I got yours. Sorry, thought I told you.

I put the deadline Dec 1 in hopes everyone would want to do it before the holiday madness. I may contact those who sent their in and ask if they mind waiting until after Christmas. Buthe if anyone else wants to participate, let me know. That may decide it for me, more players means more goodies! Still waiting on a few. I'm currently in a fight with our post office for one of them. Someone didn't put enough stamps on theirs, I paid the postage Thurs and finally threw enough attitude that the station manager sent someone out personally. I don't think they like me much anymore. Oh well, they shouldn't mess with a girl's seeds!

• soonergrandmom
    7 years ago

The first year that I did the swap, they returned two of the packages and said my address was not good. Since then I had a LO-O-ONG talk with the postmaster and four of us moved our mailboxes to my front yard. One of the employees in the post office told me that there was no such address although it is where I had been getting mail (at least, most of the time). Once I reported how many problems we had experienced, that got really happy to help me.

• jlhart76
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This isn't first issue with the post. The carrier in Tulsa decided she wouldn't deliver if we were outside with our dogs; she even skipped our entire block for a week to prove a point. Then she started walking through my flower bed that ran along the driveway. My husband reported her multiple times and was told she had a right to do whatever she wanted. As for the garden, I needed to move it because it was in her path. She would cut across the yard to the neighbor, and my garden was blocking her. We put a line of planters, trying to block her way, and she just moved them over. We were so glad to leave that behind when we moved.