SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Best tall or full hostas under sub-optimal conditions

…Those sub-optimal conditions being under spruce trees, and next to the neighbor’s tall fence, where it tends to be dry. Based on my experience with the adjacent garden (under ash trees), I think this will eventually work. Eventually with the latter garden, enough humus built up, and maybe the other plants helped trap moisture, that the hostas there look pretty good, though they grow slower than ones that don’t compete with roots, and don’t get enough light to color up really well. It’s a slight slope. It will get watered, plus has the benefit of the neighbors' runoff.

A local overpriced nursery is having its 70% off sale starting Thursday. I will have to see what is left when I get back there on the first morning of the sale. They had so many of some that I can’t see them all being sold out.

Ideally I’d like a couple of tall ones for the back right next to the fence. A couple of shorter ones for the middle ground. I’m not into what might be plain green under those light conditions, unless it has something else to recommend it, like nice form, corrugation, etc. I moved an Elegans in there a couple of months ago, and it is looking pretty nice, though it may be coasting on its prior stored energy from a sunnier spot.

Here are the candidates as I wrote them down last Friday: in alphabetical order

Big Daddy
Blueberry Muffin
Blue Hawaii
Brim Cup
Earth Angel
Elegans
Empress Wu
Francee
Frances Williams (have one from last year’s sale in there. I know people don't like this one, but I have little problem with the brown spots on the 3 I have. However, the new one has made only 3 leaves)
Krossa Regal
Liberty (have one from last year’s sale in there: coloring is not near as impressive as the 8 yr+ one I have in a sunny garden. But I don’t recall if it’s maturity or light that makes a difference with the one. Growing very well, though)
Seducer
Victory (I THINK have one from last year’s sale in there, but the tag got lost. Looks nice and full)
Sagae
Striptease

So…maybe first tell me which are fussy, and I’ll cross them right off.
Then whatever might tolerate these conditions.
Then any other way to prioritize.

My commenting function is not working on Houzz, so I can originate a post, but not reply to one, not even my own. But I do appreciate your answers, even though I will not be able to reply to any.

Thanks also to those who responded to my prior post with suggestions about how to restore the ability to comment. I have indeed tried all of those, and been in contact with Houzz since the problem first showed up a few weeks ago. I have tried all their suggestions as well, to no avail. With no other ideas, I believe it might be a browser incompatibility problem. Internet Explorer and Houzz probably just don’t get along. Next time I go to the library, I mean to try their computers, which use Firefox. My computer is old, and the memory almost full, so I hesitate to try downloading a new browser, for fear of a crash. I am due to buy a new computer soon.

Thanks!

Comments (6)