SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

OMG . . . A (Peeping Tom) Drone Outside Our Bedroom Window!

LynnNM
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am totally blown away by this still! This past Friday morning, right around 8AM, I was sitting in our bedroom chatting with DD on the phone and gazing out the window wall into my back "yard" . . . and I see a small drone out there! It was just meandering around about 6-8 feet off the ground, and about 15 feet away from the house, right outside our bedroom. Like I said, moving slowly, turning this way and that. I'll tell you, I was so shocked I couldn't even move! I just sat there staring at it and wondering what the heck was going on! And, just for the record, it was a clear day with no mist, rain, fog, etc., and I don't need glasses for anything but reading. I have perfect long distance vision. I saw this thing very, very clearly. My thinking is that it was obviously someone's personal drone, as I can't imagine that the military would be interested in my bedroom (LOL).
Perhaps if I was living in some private compound filled with celebrities, I might not have been so surprised. But, this is just an ordinary mountain community, somewhat upscale, but no one famous here. Neil Patrick Harris used to live nearby, but hasn't for at least 17 years. Everybody around here knows he's not living here anymore, so that can't be it.

Anyhoo, after about 20 seconds of me watching it, it stopped and hovered. I had the distinct feeling that it was looking at me while I stared back at it. And then it quickly moved out of my sight and disappeared before I could get to the door to see where it went. Thankfully, I was fully dressed, as we're routinely up at 5:30AM during the week. But I can't help but wonder if it's been out there before when I/we haven't noticed it. Oh my gosh, that makes me feel so violated. And creeped out. And very, very angry!

I stupidly didn't call the sheriff's department, because (1) I was in shock for about the next hour trying to figure out what and why, and (2) because I don't know anything about drones really, and thought that the operator could be 30 miles away, and besides, it had disappeared.
I did let everyone on my Next Door neighborhood internet website know about it, as well as all my neighbors here in our compound. One gal on Next Door posted back telling me/us that she'd had one at her home this past Summer and, like me, she hadn't called the sheriff for the same reasons. She said she did scream at it and threaten it, though. But, she lives a couple of miles from me.

I did talk to someone at the sheriff's office this morning. As far as the person I talked with knew, no one has made a similar complaint. (Sigh) I don't know what to do next. pretty much the entire back of our long, one story home is either a window wall or has very large windows so that we can enjoy our drop-dead gorgeous mountain views. We have acres of private land around us. All of us do here. My neighbors are all our friends and good, normal people. Everyone here is over 50 years old, all empty-nesters, and many are retired.
So, my thought is that this has to be some creepy peeping tom using new modern technology to look in people's windows.

I have no idea how far the operator needs to be using one of these. Do you? Can they fly them at night? This area has a lot of pine trees to navigate around . . . but none right outside our bedroom windows.
Heck, never in my wildest dreams did I ever consider the possibility that someone would use a drone around here! (Sigh) But they have, and now I'm back to dressing in my windowless toilet closet. It's been 3 days and I still can't shake the feeling of being very violated. I hate it! So, I'm thinking that I'm going to call the Sheriff's Dept. back and ask for a deputy to come out here so that I can file a formal complaint. Just to get this on record. Somebody needs to start this so that they will keep an eye out. I guess that someone needs to be me.

Comments (55)