SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malsh_k

How can you give a modern look to a kitchen with stained cabinets?

Dream
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm still unable to decide on a stain for my new kitchen. As for wood, I like Maple or Hickory. While I love the look of a white kitchen, it's not for our family. We are a family of 6, 2 small kids and grandparents. My mom does most of the cooking and we cook a lot. 3 full meals, everything from scratch. I don't want to break my back trying to keep a white kitchen white. My hubby wants a modern look and I'm wondering whether it's possible to obtain a modern look with a light to medium stain wood. Shaker style cabinets and maybe a stain like Autumn Haze.

I was set on Oakmoor counter for the island and a different solid color slab for perimeter counters but after seeing oakmoor in person that's not going to work for us because if I were to use oakmoor on the island the perimeters have to be white and I don't like white counters on stained cabinets. I feel it give a more "old style" look.

What to do? So confusing. This is the house plan and the cabinet layout. The layout needs a little bit more work to move the sink in the island etc. I'm meeting with the cabinet maker on Tuesday and I want to have a better idea of a stain.

Thank you

Comments (35)