SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simps05

Weeping crabapple. How to train and when to prune?

7 years ago

Hello,

I just bought a Ruby tears weeping crabapple from an end of the year sale. I live in zone 5a in Iowa. I am going to plant it this weekend and had a few questions.

There is an obvious graft right above the root flare. Will this matter if I want to train the central leader a few feet higher with a large stake? I have read with higher grafts like on weeping cherries you can't really train them higher like you can with say a lavender twist redbud. It looks kind of silly right now with the leader being much higher than the rest of the weeping branches. Or should I just cut off the leader to make it a smaller tree and more uniform? f I can get around 8 feet instead of 5 that would be great. But, I'm not sure.

Also, how long should I wait before I start pruning this thing? It will be right by the driveway in front of the house so I kind of wanna start making it look nice. But, I don't want to sacrifice root development by doing anything too soon. I want to slowly prune off the lower limbs and build the head a little more full and tall. The tree has been pruned pretty terribly over the years, but for $13 I thought it was worth it.

Thank you for reading my long post and for any advice you can provide.

Comments (8)