SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpbenda

Porcelain Tile in Exterior Location and Humidity Considerations?

Brian Benda
7 years ago

I have an exterior patio that is partly covered and partly uncovered. The covered part is protected from rain and other like elements, but all of the patio is subject to the outside temperatures and humidity levels. I have a contractor who is supposed to be installing a porcelain tile floor for me over the existing (and sealed) concrete floor. He is telling me that because the humidity outside is over 60% that he doesn't feel that he can commence the installation without a high risk of the tile not properly adhering. He said that the manufacturer of the thinset he uses recommends installation in conditions of 40% humidity or less. He said that based on personal experience he is comfortable installing in condition of 60% humidity or less. I inquired about other thinset options intended for exterior air conditions like we are experiencing in our area, and he said that what he uses is the best (of course he would say that). Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area who can help? I'm wondering if maybe he is using this "technical" excuse to cover for some other reason why he doesn't want to start right now (thinking that I won't know the difference and just take him at his word). Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Comment