SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sanveann_gw

Considerations for families with small children

sanveann
11 years ago

We're still in the planning stage, and with three little ones (1 1/2 to 5 1/2), I'm thinking about what we'll want in our house. These are my thoughts -- please let me know if you have any more ideas!

* Playroom for kids (any floor, but ideally main floor -- maybe could use for something else later, like a craft room). I've tried to convince my husband we can use the formal dining room as a playroom for now, but he really really wants that dining room!

* Kitchen open to rest of house, so I can keep an eye on them while I'm making dinner

* Entry from the back yard that does NOT go through the living room (we're building on 10 acres, and I KNOW they are going to get horrifically muddy)

* Mudroom with lots of storage for coats, shoes, boots, snowsuits, etc.

* Probably going with hardwood floors, if we can swing it; if not, we'll probably get some inexpensive carpet and vinyl flooring and replace it in a few years with hardwood.

We definitely want a main-floor master suite and would prefer to have one of the other three bedrooms downstairs for our daughter, who is the 18-month-old, so she isn't quite so far from us at night. (My husband jokes that this will also come in handy when she's in high school.) Not a dealbreaker, though. At any rate, we want her to have her own bathroom, and figure our two boys can share one.

Am I missing anything?

Comments (36)