SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Acer saccharum theory (Central Maryland)

hairmetal4ever
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

It's the time of year I start thinking about one of my favorite trees, the sugar maple, Acer saccharum.

Acer saccharum is marginally native where I am. The 'official' range maps basically show it native in Maryland west of I-95 and north of I-70, more or less. There are documented pockets of native trees elsewhere, however, and it's only common in the 'wild' at higher elevations and far west in the state.

However, it appears that planted sugar maples are actually better adapted to the local climate than the trees that are actually native nearby. I seem to recall reading that there are pockets of native trees in Montgomery County, and possibly my county (Howard), but they don't appear to spread naturally out of those areas, yet, they come up all over around me even in the understory of native woods when they are commonly planted in landscapes in the area.

My theory is this:

The actual native Acer saccharums in my local region are of an original source north of here, and/or higher elevations (my guess is probably the central PA mountains). They don't care much for the heat of our summers, so they tend to stay in north-facing ravines and hillsides.

However, most planted sugar maples, especially of the more common "heat tolerant" varieties like Green Mountain, Legacy, etc are of provenance from more westerly parts of the native range, like Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, etc. The summers there are more like ours in low-elevation Maryland - frequent 90F+ heat and more drought-prone, so they actually adapt BETTER to our area.

So my thought is that the large number of 'volunteer' trees in the woods around me, descend not from the actual native provenance, but the more well-adapted planted stock.

Thoughts??

Comments (15)