SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Compton oak from Williamsburg,Va pics

poaky1
7 years ago

I have pics of the Compton oak and other oaks some Live oaks and other pics. I'll post a link to my photobucket, and you can look through the most recent pics and see all the pics of the Compton oak and Live oaks.Compton oak

Comments (33)

• gardener365
    7 years ago

Those are great pics, poaky. Thoroughly enjoyed them all.

Thanks,

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I guess others don't want to see them because of all the pop-ups. I need to learn how to post pics directly instead of links, or because of my stupid drunk posts. I understand. I'll try to eventually post pics directly, when my friend Donna gets time to help me. I'll be (I'm 50% sure) going to Florida leaving Friday the 14th of Oct. Have to watch the weather on that one.

• Related Discussions

Dax, the Burr oak from Musser Forests

Q

Comments (34)
    This is the 2nd smallest tree in that area Beng. The other is the Scarlet oak, but it is close to the neighbors corn and eggplant or squash plants, so blended in, I guess. Dax, try Tuesday afternoon, Moddy blues. I was born in 1970, that is close to when the song was put out, but I love that song. Nice relaxing song..... I am happy I protected the lower trunk of this Burr oak. I would imagine deer had been around when the tree was really small. There are lots of little apples near this tree, on an apple tree of course. They are small and insect ridden, but when did deer become particular? Now that I think about it there are 3 smaller oaks in the vacinity, 2 Willow oaks and a Swamp Chestnut oak.
    ...See More

Missherry or anyone who has a Comptons oak

Q

Comments (8)
    If I had more room I would be trying Bebbs oak. I think that one is from Oikos. I have to stop though. If I am going to have room for understory plants in the future, I have to allow room for them. If an oak dies I will have an opening. I don't foresee that happening though. I just planted some Q. Alba acorns to replace a Shingle oak. The Shingle wants full sun so I have to find a place for it. The Q. Alba can stand the part sun it will have until the ailing tree it's under dies. I am happy with the Magnolia's they have at Mossy oak too.
    ...See More

Mystery Evergreen Oak -- any Ideas which one?

Q

Comments (6)
    Resin, Not sure I would trust DK Images. Now, my acorns match your second picture quite closely. Note that the acorns do not fill up the cap completely on the inside. The acorn parts that were covered by the cap are more elongated. And your images do not show the acorn without the caps. Here are the presumed Q. myrsinifolia trees. Now that I look at them more closely, the leaves don't look as willowy as I remembered them. Maybe they're actually Q. glauca??
    ...See More

Anyone near Williamsburg, Va get some Compton's oak acorns?

Q

Comments (0)
    I know that more than likely the trees have already dropped their acorns a week or 2 ago, But,m I am hoping someone has got a couple extra acorns from the Compton';s oak in Williamsburg, Va. My source (Mossy oak natives) is out of stock. I just may not be able to get any until my tree from Mossy oak natives bears it's own acorns, likely in a couple or few years. But, if anyone has gotten any acorns from the Compton's oak, I may be interested.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Bulldog Climbing Service
    7 years ago

To post directly to here you'll see photo below where we type click on it. Then click on documents select the photo you want to post then it'll post it

• PRO
  • poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What if you're posting from Photobucket?

• poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Is that a Q.Robur Bonsai, or you just used that pic for an example? And thanks BTW.

• PRO
    Bulldog Climbing Service
    7 years ago

Posting from photobucket you'll need to download it to your device then post it to the forum directly. Bonsai is a Bur oak i sold last summer

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

poaky1 - if you put your pictures on Photobucket, presumably they were on your computer first? You can skip the PB stage altogether and post directly from your computer.

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    7 years ago

Even from Photobucket, there's a link you can copy and then insert into your post. It makes the pic become part of the post.

• PRO
    Bulldog Climbing Service
    7 years ago

If you're on a computer then you can do it that way.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have all my pics on a disk that goes into my digital camera, my cell phone is an old flip phone, so I use my digital camera with the SanDisk in it. I would upload onto photobucket, then copy the link onto here. If I can put the disk in my computer and just post from the disk onto a post here that'd be great because I used up nearly all my photobucket free room for pics. Floral, these were all pics I took in Williamsburg,Va when I was there last week and took pics of the Compton oak, among other pics, so they were originally on my disk in my digital camera, and I put them on photobucket to put on here, but, I have more on another disk I haven't uploaded anywhere yet because I have no more room on photobucket, so I need to figure out how to get them from my disk and on my posts here without photobucket. I could delete some of my pics on photobucket and add more of the new ones, but, if I can post straight from the disk to GW posts, I would rather do that, any one that can tell me step by step from putting my disk in my computer all the way through how to do that? My friend that went with me on vacation could show me, but I need her to have time to do it.

• PRO
    Bulldog Climbing Service
    7 years ago

I don't use photobucket so I'm just guessing. I think you would need to copy the photo then paste. But I'm not really sure about that could be worth a try

• poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm going to post a link for people that don't mind using the link first Williamsburg, Va pics

• poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

When I click the camera button a window comes open and I'm totally lost, so I have to wait for someone to show me how to do it. It will let me copy the link so you guys can click on it and then see the pic but that is how spam or pop ups are messing with people.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I did it! This is the Compton oak hybrid between Live oak and Overcup oak.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Same tree
    Okay, I'm glad I figured that out. Great tree huh? They had great Live oaks there also.

• PRO
    Bulldog Climbing Service
    7 years ago

Nice job poaky!

• poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Now those pics are straight from the disk to GW, I still can't figure out the Photobucket to GW directly thing. But who cares anyway, right?

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    7 years ago

Looks like Q.virginiana certainly has dominance in the gene pool. I wonder how soon it sheds its leaves in the fall?

• poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think where it is growing likely pretty late, the leaves are thick and narrow, well, I have several of them in my yard I bought from Mossy oak natives in Miss. but, the one in Va in the pics has tough leathery leaves and I saw plants in flower and oaks (alba and Rubra) with green leaves in Va, they were still picking grapes, and as said before, plants were in bloom, they were planting seedlings for goodness sake, while in Pa when I came back home the leaves are changing. Well, more like turning yucky and falling off this year. But, I sowed 4 acorns off the Compton in Williamsburg,Va despite having several Compton's already, for the genetics, ( I'm picking the most vigorous of the 4 acorn trees) that will grow and either have habits according to it's surroundings, or have habits of that Va Compton oak. Those I have already, grew in Mississippi, and were around Live oaks also, so they are going to have those genetics also. But, I do know that Williamsburg,Va gets snow and the tree defoliates in a harsh winter, there is a picture of it online, but, in a mild one, I guess it can be evergreen or tardily deciduous. I will be moving one of my Compton's to a cemetary because I have them too close together. I am shocked that the tree was dug up from an area near Virginia beach, it could'nt have been too large to be successfully transplanted in 1930. I'm thinking maybe 10 years old at the most? And it was transplanted where it is now in 1930, that is documented, so it has grown into the huge hulk it is today from whatever size it was in 1930 to what it is now. This tree grows fast, being a hybrid, I have a 3 year in ground one that is likely about 9-10 ft tall, but still thin, but it has many limbs that are growing straight across they are just small yet. Maybe in my lifetime it will be a large tree, or one of my other Compton';s will, I have one I planted several years ago over the hill in my yard it is wider and taller than the others, well, anyway in wetter years they did much more growth. I just may cheat with a couple of them unless we get some decent rain next summer. They don't need plant food, just more water seems to make them grow alot. Even though the beach was rough it was beautiful, the waves were rough, and it was windy, but, I would've hated it if it would've been sunny and hot. Virginia Beach that is.

• gardener365
    7 years ago

Quercus x comptoniae - Williamsburg, Virginia

Quercus x comptoniae (acorn)

Dax

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    7 years ago

Good job in figuring the pic posting

• poaky1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah, It's actually much easier than the photobucket route.

• NWalton (Zone 6a)
    6 years ago

How does the tree look with fall foliage?

• poaky1
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, NWalton, I have several of these Compton's oaks, and 1 have 1 that's been in ground for at least 3 years and it is still green on the leaves that haven't been shed, but most have been shed, and I have a potted one with red/orange leaves, and another with a green and yellow color to the leaves, so I'm thinking that the soil PH or something about the soil is the reason, OR the temperatures or moisture level of the soil is the reason for the different foliage colors. I have 2 Pin oaks, and 1 usually keeps very nice deep Burgundy color for several months, the other may keep that Burgundy (which isn't so bright) only a month or 2. But my usually long showing vivid Burgundy color Pin oak is now a brownish red, mostly brown really now. So maybe it's temperature, or moisture, I've done nothing to change the PH under either Pin oak. My soil is usually a Neutral 6 or 6.5, my Pin oaks have grown fine. But, anyway, the potted Comptons is likley in a slightlty acidic potting medium and has the Orangish red leaves. But, the Comptons oak is considered as a late deciduous tree, so it just may keep green leaves up until it's really cold and the tree drops the leaves. I know this isn't a simple and short answer, but, I thought the fact that I have 2 seedlings that have yellow, and orangish/ red color should be mentioned, but, the tree in Williamsburgh, Va ( a champion specimen) was green as could be in October in zone 7. But, just expect no super great fall color from them, but, if your PH is acidic, you may get fall color.

But, I should add that if you love nice big oaks, you'll LOVE the Compton oak. I hope you are not too elderly or you may just have to leave it for the kids or grandkids, it does grow at least 2-3 foot a year, maybe more if in a good spot. It will get as wide as a Live oak (Quercus Virginiana) which it shares half of it's genes with. The mature 1 at Williamsburgh, Va is quite impressive, I wish I could make mine grow faster to be just like the 1 at Williamsburgh, Va. I do know that if you provide extra water in the growing season (unless you are getting lottsa rain) the tree will grow much more vigorously.

So if you would love a shade tree that gets nice thick branches growing horizontally, and has a huge area under the tree in shade, definitely get a Compton's oak, in zone 6 you MAY get some fall color, but, if you have the room, the Comptons oak is only #2 to a LIve oak, which in zone 6 isn't an option unless you get the smaller and slower growing Quercus Fusiformis, and I've only had success with the Quartz mountain Live oak, and it tops out at 6 inches to 12 inches growth a year, so very slllllooooow grower.

I actually have a potted (the redish/orange colored 1) and I need to find it a place to plant, so if you want it I can send it to ya. My yard is packed with many oaks. I just hope you aren't too far from me in Pa to send it, if you have your own source that's fine. Later.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    6 years ago

BTW< if you just want to know where I got mine, I got mine at "Mossy oak natives nursery" it online, but, you have to have aminimum purchase of $25.00 0R $20.00, They have a nice selection of hybrids and plain out oaks there so maybe you will want to make an order of more than the 1 kinda oak, but, you gotta check the availablilty of each kind of oak or other native trees and shrubs. The trees are pretty cheap, but, the hybrids are higher priced, but usually about $8 to $10 bucks at the most, and although the nursery is in the south, my Comptons did great in our toughest winter of 2013-2014 where we went down to 13 below zero for a few nights and several other below zero nights, the Comptons are zone 5 hardy. But, if you just want the 1 Compton's oak, I can send you my spare 1 for free. I had someone send me a Live oak for free so I can pass on the favor.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi ya'll it's me Poaky1, I have decided to plant my Compton's oak near my dad's grave in the cemetary, even if they don't allow it. I will go and plant it there once the sun sets and I don't know if they'll dig it up and pitch it in the trash, but, I would love to find a poem or something that would stop them from getting rid of it, something that they will make them stop from digging it up, I'm willing to put something there that will make them AFRAID to remove it. I know that is kinda a RASH decisioin, but, there is a Maple near his headstone, it will live MAYBE another 25-30 years, and then what? I want this long lived oak tree planted near his grave. Sorry, Nwalton, I would love for you to have a Comptons oak, but, I've been wanting my dad to have this tree near his grave since he passed away, I just was afraid that they would get rid of it.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Laura, I am sure that times can vary a bit from year to year, BUT, when I had gone a few years back to see that tree, we went in October, and the tree had only a small bit of acorns on it yet, and, the squirrels were running all over the place to get the last ones. I collected a handful, and they were NOT viable. So, If we are going by that years timing my GUESS is September would be best, and MAYBE the second or 3rd week of September, BUT, I am guessing.

IF you live close to the tree, then, of course you can just check it in early September and each week in September. I myself only have 1 oak that has had acorn fall for years now, it's a Chestnut oak, and it is bare this year for the first time in years. Hopefully the Compton's in Williamsburg, Va will have a good year for acorns this year. I have several Compton's oaks myself, BUT, they aren't producing acorns yet. The Mossy oaks natives nursery said they should be by now, but, they aren't yet. Well, Good Luck in your search and IF you haven't seen the Champion Compton's before in person, it is really HUGE and has the low branches like the Live oak does, just NOT quite as dramatic. Nice HUGE branches that are thick and spreading. I hope you beat the squirrels.

• Laura Ross
    4 years ago

Ty! I live nearby and have been to the Compton Oak several times but never when there were acorns. I will try again this year starting in September.

poaky1 thanked Laura Ross
  • poaky1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's great that you are near it, maybe look at it at the end of this month, just to get an idea how far along the acorns are in maturity. BUT, they are likely going to be ripe in September. Since you are near the Compton's, IF you don't already have any Live oaks, they likely will be ripe a bit earlier than the Compton's. I've seen several Live oaks there, as you surely have also. I collected some Live oak acorns too, but, they were NOT viable, and I am in zone 6a and of course I can't grow a LIve oak here UNLESS it is the hardier Live oak Quartz mountain Live oak Quercus Fusiformis. I have 1 Quartz mountain Live oak growing in my yard in zone 6a Pa. Anyway, good luck getting acorns, you will likely find some since you can go and look several times over late summer and fall. But, the squirrels are very active on that tree from what I saw in just 1 day.

• Norbert (zone 7a - Hungary)
    4 years ago

Hey poaky!

I just read your old post from 2017. Did you plant the Compton's oak at your father's grave like you wanted? I'm just curious to hear how that worked out. It sounds like guerilla gardening a bit. :) I like the idea.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey Norbert, No, I chickened out about planting the Compton's by my dad's grave. They screwed up on the grave marker, and we have JUST recently got the correct marker. IF we hadn't gone to talk to them about it, we'd have never known they HAD the correct stone just sitting somewhere. They had it sitting along with several other grave markers at the cemetary. They had it sitting there for about a month BUT, hadn't placed it where it goes. We had to TELL them that the existing one had a misspelling and it was a flat one instead of one that sits semi upright. HOPEFULLY, they will install the correct one. I can't really plant the Compton's there since they have a Maple tree about 30 ft away from the plot. I couldn't anyway, unless they okayed it. My dad was cremated, and we put SOME of his ashes under one of his (he wanted us to) apple trees in OUR yard, and the rest were buried at the plot at the cemetary. Sorry for the gruesome talk. I want to be cremated, and I want my ashes to be spread under one of my oaks, maybe a couple of them. That Compton's is in my yard. I have alot of oaks, my favorite kinda tree.

Really that cemetary could USE some good trees, they have a couple decent trees, BUT, they have mangled some of the ones that USED to be pretty. They have "topped" a Sycamore tree that has to be pretty old, in case you don't know that phrase, you likely DO, BUT, anyway, it is when they cut the tips off the branches of trees instead of pruning them correctly, and you get a bunch of "bristle brush " type of new growth that is weak and well, crappy looking. The oaks that DO have are all RED oak family oaks and will NOT live as long as the Whites, BUT, that's their choice, not mine.

I bet IF I DID plant a tree there, since that Maple will likely be dead by the time that Compton's oak gets huge anyway, I bet the groundskeepers would weed wack it to death. I have that Compton's in the ground now anyway, it has a tree "tube" around it and it is about 5 feet tall, I don't want to mess it up. I should have taken the opportunity to ask if I could plant a tree there whilst they were appoligizing about the grave marker messup. Okay, later Norbert