SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Citrus Greenhouse Project

This Summer, I tore off my front deck and salvaged as many of the redwood boards as I could for a platform for a greenhouse. Amazingly, there were enough of these 40 year-old boards to complete the platform...but just barely!

The greenhouse arrived several weeks ago, but I've only had time to work on the weekends, and last weekend was a bust because my nephew was visiting. I'm *hoping* to have the structure assembled by next weekend, if all goes well. Thankfully, the weather is still quite warm (upper 80F's), so there's plenty of time before the first frosts of November.

On with the pics! Laying the frame for the platform. Pressure-treated wood. After this, I put in supports every 16 inches, as well as metal brackets and strapping on the corners to keep the frame square.

Then the joy of puzzle-piecing the salvaged boards to form the "deck" - it took a *lot* of work to shave boards and wrestle the curved ones into place.

This afternoon, I finished the platform and started to stage the aluminum structure for the greenhouse.

However, I live in a private community where any structures are scrutinized by the administration. So......I was told that I couldn't put up a "silver" greenhouse; I would have to paint it an approved color. I know, how ridiculous is that? The greenhouse is in my backyard and none of my neighbors will even see it. Regardless, I got some hunter green paint and began the tedious process of painting all the aluminum parts. That's where I am in the process right now, a little over halfway done with the painting.

Stay tuned for updates....

Comments (56)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH