SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prolix21

pruning Viburnum juddii

Dan
7 years ago

We have some Viburnum juddii that were planted by a previous homeowner that are getting a little out of control. Over the past two years I've done light pruning to keep them back and shaped, but the shrubs are getting too big for the space they occupy and are starting to grow up against the house and overtake some neighboring shrubs.

In reading about Viburnum it sounds like most people don't really prune, assuming the shrub is planted appropriately. Since ours were planted without sufficient space, I've had to prune, which I think has made the problem worse and caused branches to split off and get a bit messy.

I'm attaching some photos of what two of the plants currently look like and was wondering if anyone had any pruning advice. Should I just keep cutting them back to the size I want or should I take more drastic actions and do some restorative pruning to get them small again? Perhaps cutting them back to their main stems of 3 feet or so?

All the shrubs are very healthy, just way too big. I know that if I cut them back I'll likely lose any flowering the next season.

This first photo is actually two plants. These are in our back yard. I have another row of 4 plants in the front that are having the same overgrowth issue.

The following photos are the base of the two plants in the above photo.

Comments (6)