SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coriannh0uzzviolatedmyprivacy

Falstaff as a climber - happy in zone 9b

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Last week I was at a local nursery for something totally unrelated to roses, but I saw they had 3 Falstaff roses that were 6 feet tall and on sale. They didn't look spectacular, but I thought I could shape them up ... and they were so tall already with about 5 or 6 buds on each...I went back and bought them. I pruned everything that I didn't like off of them when I got them home.

A week later, they're looking like they're on their way! I even counted 8 buds on one of them! They're about 4 feet and leggy now since I pruned them, but look much healthier.

So here's my questions... they are supposed to get to 6 feet "as a climber." I guess there's not a climbing variety? Just train it as a climber and it becomes a climber? Also, I figure "6 feet" probably means 8-9 feet in my area right? Especially since they already got to 6 feet as a shrub (even though obviously not tended to all that well).

They're not reported to be the best bloomers from others on gardenweb... so I'm thinking I will train them up three separate arbors with climbing iceberg on the other side just in case the buds I see now are a fluke and they decide to get stingy. Just as a precaution to make sure I have lovely blooms all the time since iceberg grows like a weed here and needs basically no care what so ever to bloom nonstop. Plus red and white is timeless and classically beautiful. Unless someone on here has a better idea for me?

I feel like I found three treasures. And on sale!!!

Comments (28)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH