SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Red-breasted Nuthatch?

claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I occasionally see Red-breasted Nuthatches here in southeastern MA, but only in years when they irrupt south and then only in the winter or spring before they head north again.

Last Monday (October 3) I looked out the window and thought "That looks like a Red-breasted Nuthatch at the suet nugget feeder!" I managed to get one picture of the nuthatch(?) in the company of a chickadee but I haven't seen it since.

Is my identification correct? I get White-breasted Nuthatches regularly but the head and back of this guy doesn't match that bird.

The chickadee is on the back of the feeder and the nuthatch(?) is on the front with its back to the camera.

Thanks,

Claire

Note: I just checked Ron Pittaway’s Winter Finch Forecast 2016-2017

which is posted on eBird and it says:

"RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH: An early southward movement began in early summer and continues as this forecast is posted. This widespread movement is evidence of poor cone crops in the Northeast. It indicates that Purple Finches, White-winged Crossbills and Pine Siskins are on the move too."

Note2: I just checked eBird for individual sightings and they're all over Massachusetts! Five Red-breasted Nuthatches were counted in September just down the road from my house, so the ID is looking much more reasonable.

Comments (15)