SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
actionclaw

Securing windows/repairing, replacing locks, etc.

I have a house with (what I believe are referred to as) single pane, double hung windows. I don't know the manufacturer. They look similar to Pella windows I have seen but I can not find the Pella logo or name anywhere on the latches, printed on the windows, frame or elsewhere and a telephone call to the Pella company assured me that Pella windows have always proudly displayed the Pella trademark. If there's a company that makes Pella knock offs, that's what these may be.

The only ID found were located on stickers on the top inside frame. All are two lines with most of the middle part of the second line containing the window dimensions:

0229 113106 / 001 GOE-K-001-0021
05155 40 1/8 x 61 5/8 PR4240 19/20

0229 113106 / 004 GOE-K-001-0021
05155 28 1/8 x 61 5/8 PR4240 19/24

Do these number schemes look at all familiar to any of you?

Someone broke into the house entering through one of the windows. Apparently, a little brute force was sufficient to break the window sash latch (that secures the top sash to the bottom sash) and pop the window sash vent stops right out of the sash allowing easy access througn top or bottom.

Replacement sash vent stops, such as these are available but they're made of the same cheap, flimsy easily broken plastic (I hoped for but didn't find metal replacements) and can be popped out as simply as the originals.

The sash locks are unlike Pella's and all others I've found online or at the "big box stores" sold as either replacement parts or intended for additional security. Most latches mount on horizontal surfaces of both the top and bottom sash. On these windows, the latch on the bottom pane mounts horizontally but the catch on the upper pane mounts perpendicular to it on the "face" of the upper window.

I want to replace the broken/missing pieces with the same part-- ideally made from better, stronger materials -- and also add additional security measures to prevent the same thing from reoccurring but I encounter problems with the additional locks, as well. Some of the more secure sash locks I've seen, again, need two aligned horizontal surface on which to mount. Those that mount along the side usually seem to require perpendicular surfaces. These windows have have neither: the frame or surrounding molding are on the same plane but with one slightly (1/4-1/2") recessed. Even using something like a Barrel Bolt would require using washers or similar to raise the mounting surface.

I cut a steel bar to the exact measurements so that it could be wedged between the top frame and the top part of the lower sash. This seemed a good idea until I realized that while securing the lower sash, there was nothing preventing the upper sash from being lowered. The clamp on slide locks don't fit over these rails. I'll look into whether there's enough clearance for pins.

This is an old somewhat neglected house still undergoing renovation. Please excuse the dirt. I can clean and reshoot better photos if necessary.

I welcome and will very much appreciate leads to the possible manufacture of the windows, referrals to other products that might work in this case, any and all other useful suggestions, ideas, etc.

Thank you

Comments (3)