SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericsanford69

Very rough new concrete- will it last?

ericsanford69
7 years ago

Quick preface, I won't get into the details of the why or how here- we've already come to an agreement with the ready mix company, that part is over, no advice needed.

So, our new driveway pour went very wrong, and some of the slab was screeded (barely) once, mostly cured, then sprayed with water and brushed (a lot) to try to fill in the gaps and air pockets on the surface. We're keeping the slab- it's out of sight and the added traction is actually nice on the steep hill- but my only lingering concern is the durability. I'm in MN, and initially worried water would get in to any remaining holes/gaps in the slab and freeze and crack or chip our new slab into oblivion. The ready mix company sent a cement contractor out and he said best to leave it alone, it will be fine. I called another cement guy out of the yellow pages and he said it would be plenty durable. It seems it's only the cosmetic aspect anyone cares about, but if I leave it be, will the slab last as long (or almost) as any other, all things being the same?

Comments (23)