SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bagofchips

Cabinets with Seedy Art Glass: texture or smooth side facing out?

bagofchips
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We have cabinets formed into a hutch in the dining room. Uppers are going to get art glass, specifically seedy. The cabinets are white, shaker style. I'm trying to keep this general for benefit of all, though I may post a picture.

This has come up SOME before, so I'll summarize the considerations that I've identified so far:

1. Darker cabinets will hide texture more if it faces to interior.
  2. Smooth side is easier to clean (maybe a LOT easier) so if grease and grime are a consideration (kitchen especially) that could matter.
  3. Smoother side will reflect lights more -- more sparkle, more pop.
  4. Texture facing out should be more opaque - hiding cabinet contents better (could be a pro or con depending on what you have in there and your goals).
  5. Texture is more visible if facing out or with lights off - you paid for it why hide it?
  6. There is no hard and fast rule -- personal preference matters. So just put some up (not even in the doors just their general destination) and have two pieces with either side out and compare / choose.
  7. Get it right -- it may be impossible to remove your glass without breaking it once installed. (And make sure you put it in all glass facing your chosen way!)

Let me know what else drove your decision? Thx.

Comments (5)