SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Has anyone set up a trust/will for their pets' care?

rockybird
7 years ago

I have four small parrots that I love dearly. I should outlive them, even with their long lives. But the other day while cycling, a car ran a red light in front of me. A half a second sooner, and I wouldn't be here today.

I cant bear the thought of my little ones on craigslist or in languishing in a rescue. My family doesn't understand them. When I was unexpectedly in the hospital for 3 weeks, I had to hire someone to feed them, while my family was staying at the house.

My friend and her husband, who love parrots, have generously agreed to take them should something unexpected happen. I would like to leave money in a trust for their care. My friends would never ask for money for their care, nor do they need it, but I feel better doing it anyway.

I have yet to speak with an attorney, but am wondering if anyone else has done this and how they set it up? My biggest worry is my boisterous and demanding boy caique. He can be quite a handful. I want to maybe leave some additional money aside in case he needs to be sent to a sanctuary if my friends cant handle him. In this event, I would want a donation for his care. I also would never want him in a sanctuary without a mate. I was just curious if anyone else has done something similar and how they did it?

Zeek:

Tiny Finn:

Rocky:

Scout:

Comments (25)