SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindnessgw

Once Charming, Pristine and Useful.Now Dated, Grimy, and Unneded WWYD?

cupofkindnessgw
7 years ago

This is cupofkindness, and I don't often post here but when I do I get amazing results. Here is the family room this forum helped me redecorate about six months ago:

Thanks to all of you who helped us with that! On the other side of that fireplace, on a wall in one of my girls bedrooms is this:

It is about 60 inches wide, about 16" deep, and fits in an alcove that is probably 7 feet high. It is directly behind the fireplace and if I tore it out, there would be bricks behind the painted oak back.

The drawers are broken, the cupboards are small, but it is a handly place to put stuff. Don't you love the totally useless shopping cart stuffed with yarn? And the Waterford crystal that I don't know what to do with? Anyway, these were built with the house in 1976. Forty years old, and they are in terrible shape.

This is my other girls' bedroom and it also has an old built in which we started to refurbish but never finished:

This built in desk is 30 inches deep and 42" wide.

We are painting the two girls' rooms, adding crown molding, buying a queen bed for one of the rooms (the other has a queen), plastering over cable outlets and intercom panels, and phone jacks, smoothing the wall texture, and adding plantation shutters. (well, one room already has them). The front bedroom will have this bedding:

Which I bought about two weeks ago at Macys. Both rooms have ceiling fans and good natural light.

We haven't decided what the color scheme will be in the bedroom behind the fireplace, but I would love a plaid pattern in warm tones, a tad bit feminine but not over the top like the blue Ralph Lauren set pictured here.

I want to tear out the built-in desk. As lovely as a repainted, refurbished desk might be (we would have to make a new desk top-and by "we" I mean our painter), I'd rather place a dresser in the alcove or an easy chair, and free up more space in the bedroom since we are getting a queen bed for it.

However, the fireplace backed built-in is another story. There is no carpet under it, so we should put something in that spot if we decide to tear it out. I would really love a built-in dresser, or a "window seat" because now that most of my children are in college or beyond, when they come home they either bring a dorm room with them, or lots of luggage. There is not a lot of money to custom build something for that spot, nor do we have money to recarpet the bedrooms, but we might consider it....

The rooms will be painted a soft, warm white or pale gray in the blue bedroom and creamy vanilla in the plaid bedroom, with white trim. The plantation shutters limit any other trim color choices (since one room already has white shutters), and we want the rooms to seem airy and restful. What would you do with this project? I would appreciate any ideas about how to make the bookcase built-in fresher and more useful. As we continue to downsize, we long for a cleaner appearance in the bedrooms, which we hope to make comfortable places for our young adult children. We still have highschoolers, but they are in the minority at this point. Thank you!

Comments (15)

• Olychick
    7 years ago

If you like the storage of the built in, I would keep my eyes open for a similarly sized piece of furniture that more fits your style. Our craigslist has bookcases, china cabinets, etc, ALL the time that would look great there and are more current looking than what's there. Might need a coat of paint to make it special, but sounds like you have a painter. These are just a few on my CL all under $250:

• User
    7 years ago

Both nice suggestions, but I think for simplicity I really like the idea of a built in bench seat (with storage of course) in the alcove.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Is this all or nothing with just you and a painter? Drywalling the space with the full builtin wouldn't be that difficult, but you would pay a fair amount for it if you have to call in another worked just for that. You run into minimum charges and It can take visits on 2 or 3 days.

If you or your painter cannot do drywall or any light carpentry, it seems like your options are limited to some variation on leaving the wood back and sides (or paint the brick on the back -- but brick that is not meant to be seen can be sloppy work that would be more to clean up than to cover) and repaint (match the walls or go a couple of shades deeper or lighter) and look for a furniture piece with a skirted bottom rather than feet so you cover the carpet gap - or possibly use a trim piece to create a skirt -- kind of like a toekick on cabinets work to cover the

For either space, you should be able to find furniture in those widths. The only real challenge will be covering the carpet gap.

You could look into assembled or ready to assemble cabinets to fill the space instead of furniture -- that would help cover the carpet gap in the one room -- and you could go counter height, go tall, stack for a hutch type.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

If you are exposing the brick, you could always white wash it if you don't want the look of red brick. I like the idea of a bench seat, and if you don't want a hinged lid you could easily have someone put in a couple of drawers for you or a bottom drawer and a lid. Some sort of combination for whatever you want to store. And could add some rough-hewn or painted shelves higher above for decorative items, books, the Waterford, or whatever else you'd like to put there.

Love the bedding, btw.

• zmith
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, cupofkindness.

Are you sure there isn't drywall behind your built-ins? I ask having dealt with built-ins in my own 1968 house where all the paneling and built-ins have drywall behind. Regarding what to do with the built-ins, a good trim carpenter should be able to fabricate a bench out of salvaged pieces from the built-in. If it's oak, then it's worth reusing, imho.

Can I just say I think the scalloped trim on the built-ins is just
    precious! But I can see the poor condition and get that you want a more grown-up look for your girls. Love the bedding you've chosen!

• cupofkindnessgw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. And I'm sorry to have abandoned this thread. Life just picked up in a crazy sort of way. We decided not to paint the room behind the fireplace at this point because of the cost. So we are focusing on the front girls bedroom with the desk/suspended book case. We demo'd the desk but kept the bookcase because those curly-Qs are just so darn sweet. We purchased a new queen hybrid bed at Sam's (Sealy-$500 ten year warranty/return, so we'll see). Donated the 20 year old white painted maple girls furniture: headboards, dressers, night stands, pair of twin beds. Purchased two of these campaign dressers at West Elm on sale for about $522 each. Delivery is $100 each : ( cannot pick up in store. Once I saw these during my online search for a low white dresser, I could look no further. I love them:

They will be positioned as night stands, on either side of the bed, one for each daughter. And I lost the comforter battle, so the blue Ralph Lauren Home comforter set pictured above and the Chinese porcelain lamps I was dreaming of has given way to a faux-boho Anthropoly comforter set called "Happy Indigo" we found at BBB on clearance, but as long as I have a happy daughter, it's all good. We switched comforter sets about five times, and I for one am tired of shopping and so is she.

The walls will be SW Olympus White, with Rhinestone on the ceiling and basic white trimwork. I'll post pictures when we are finished. It is a very bright room thanks to two large windows, hoping the pale gray walls don't look gloomy.

Can anyone recommend a good accent chair or an online store that sells well-made ones? At this point, we cannot afford a Pottery Barn chair, and we have checked the chairs at Pier 1. They are smallish, which is good, since that desk alcove is only 42" wide, but not terribly comfortable. Thanks for your ideas!

• rockybird
    7 years ago

I dont have any suggestions for a chair, but I love your choices! I cant wait to see pics of the rooms finished!

• eastautumn
    7 years ago

I found a small chair for $16 at a flea market, and later found out it's an IKEA chair, though I'm not sure of the name. I'll take a picture. I love the narrow size, and my son loves reading in it. During my one and only IKEA experience a couple summers ago, I ended up spending more than the chair cost to buy a darker cover for it (I think it was $20) which seemed crazy, but it's been worth it. It came with a white cover that looked great, but with a young boy living in the room and 3 mostly black cats who love to nest in chairs, I suspect it wouldn't have looked great for very long ;) It's worked out well for my son's reading spot, where he really needed something narrow so as not to block a door or interfere with his dresser drawers.

Our 16-year-old kitty demonstrating why I splurged on the darker cover...

• cupofkindnessgw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oooh, that is a very nice chair, I'll check out Ikea! Cool ottoman too, what a sweet little reading spot. Thank you, EastAutumn! Love that paint color to, what is it?

And thank you Rockybird. I'll post pictures of this little project very soon!

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I've never bought one, but I've seen some really cute chairs at Target, both in the store and online, and have seen some here that people have bought as accent chairs. They frequently have furniture sales too. Also when you are browsing at Home Goods or places like that take a look and see what they might have. Never hurts to try Wayfair.

I absolutely love the chests you found at WE.

• cupofkindnessgw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OutsidePlaying:

Thank you! What I found tremendously appealing about these chests from WE is that, at 36" wide and 32" high, they are compact enough to fill in for a nightstand, and yet the drawers are exactly 35" wide. My girls' old four-drawer solid maple chests, which were lovely and meant to have a Georgian flair (as much as you can have with youth furniture) had so many layers traditional molding, trim, dentil and baseboard edging that they were about 40" wide but the drawers were less than 30" wide, maybe 28" wide? Not a good use of space when you really think about it. But they were charming back in the day!

These WE three-drawer dressers give me 75% of the storage in a smaller footprint and are about 16" lower. I couldn't pass them up even though the price tage was rather steep, imho. I will order clear (meaning no green edges) glass tops to protect the top laquer surface. In early October, these Malone chests were $649 (now $799-eek!), but somehow when I went into the store and met with a designer, she gave me another 20% off. Since this was my first purchase at West Elm, I don't know if double-discounts are typical or if I simply got lucky. Thanks again for "listening" to me ramble on about this little project!

• eastautumn
    7 years ago

Thanks :) I picked up the ottoman for $12 a year later at the same flea market where we found the chair. I've had such good luck at that place, especially for my son's room. The wall color is BM "Stonington Gray" and trim color is Glidden "Crisp Linen." The room gets light from north and west facing windows and the wall color looks like a true pale gray.

Looking forward to seeing how your room comes together. I love the chests and the Bohemian bedding especially!

• Bluebell66
    7 years ago

eastautumn, that cute little woven ottoman is also from IKEA. I have one myself, probably bought 18 years ago. I don't believe they sell it anymore.

• eastautumn
    7 years ago

Bluebell, thanks for letting me know! I can't believe how sturdy that thing is.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor