SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_tt

Where Are You? (in the book you're reading)

kathy_t
7 years ago

I remember liking a long-ago thread in which we told one another "where we were" in the books we were currently reading. Sometimes people would guess your book, but I don't recall if that was the point of the game (or if it was actually a game at all). Does anyone else remember this?

Here's my start: I am in the Two Medicine/Gros Ventre area of Montana, spending most of my time at the Medicine Lodge saloon.

Comments (112)

• annpanagain
    7 years ago

Junco, I was reading "Lawyer for the Dog" set in Charleston SC.

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Annpan - That book title made me smile this morning. Is it a good one?

• annpanagain
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Kathy, I enjoyed it and also the sequel "Lawyer for the Cat." by Lee Robinson.

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Ann. I think I will put those on my "give it a try" list.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    7 years ago

reader-in-transit: no, I don't believe it's raining.

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

A big hint about my "East Tennessee, unhappily married woman" book: The woman has just discovered an area covered with butterflies in the back woods of her in-laws' farm.

• bookmom41
    7 years ago

Kathy_t must be reading Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver.

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Correct, Bookmom! I'm learning a lot about Monarch butterflies.

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm a young physician working on groundbreaking experiments with bacteria in the latter part of the 19th century.

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I just noticed that I did not state my location in the previous message. Duh - where was my brain? Well, no matter because I've left Germany (where the young doctor was located) because I got tired of reading about his arguments and rivalry with a French doctor. I ditched that book and in my new book, I am in Charleston, South Carolina.

• annpanagain
    7 years ago

Kathy, are you enjoying one of the "Lawyer" books?

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't actually know what the "Lawyer" books are, Annpan ... but my book is South of Broad by Pat Conroy. I'm not really sure if I even want to read it, but when I suddenly needed a new book today, it was conveniently sitting atop a stack of books recently purchased at a Friends of the Library sale. (Sometimes my book choices are rather haphazard.)

• annpanagain
    7 years ago

Kathy, earlier in this thread you said you might try my choice of "Lawyer for the Dog/ Cat " books set in Charleston SC

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh ... indeed I did, Annpan. (My brain, my brain!) Thanks for the reminder. Perhaps I'll stop by the library today and grab one of those. I think I'd prefer something lighter than Conroy at the moment. (Most anything would be lighter than Conroy.)

• woodnymph2_gw
    7 years ago

Kathy, let me know if you like Conroy's "South of Broad." I am living in Charleston, SC near that neighborhood. Conroy is worshipped as a plaster saint here in the low country....

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Will do, Woodnymph.

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Woodnymph - I am sorry to report that I am officially abandoning South of Broad after reading about a horrible incident on page 105. See my full report on the Novem November thread.

• woodnymph2_gw
    7 years ago

Kathy, thanks for the warning! I will keep away from "South of Broad" even though I know that lovely neighborhood well. I do know that Pat Conroy was known to be a depressive personality type all his life. From what I've read about his boyhood, he carried many scars well into adulthood.

• carolyn_ky
    7 years ago

I'm in Venice near the end of WWII.

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I seem to be hanging around the U.S. East Coast a lot lately. I'm now on Belle Isle, North Carolina (not sure if that's a real island or not), having just arrived by ferry with lots of others starting their summer on Memorial Day weekend.

• msmeow
    7 years ago

Ohh, Kathy, are you reading The Weekenders by Mary Kay Andrews?

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, Donna, because I liked your description of it. I'm liking it so far.

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Msmeow/Donna - I don't think anyone ever guessed your book when you said your location was Texas State Penitentiary, Death Row -and- Quantico, VA. I'm curious.

• lemonhead101
    7 years ago

I'm in England and I've just survived a hostile takeover by mutant human-eating plants who've been walking around attacking everyone. But they're changing... They're adapting. Can they think?.... :-)

• vee_new
    7 years ago

I've just left a hot dusty August in Paris and returned to a village in the South where I lived some years ago. The locals are still suspicious of strangers especially fey ones carrying Tarot cards and making confectionery.

• carolyn_ky
    7 years ago

Are you also eating chocolat?

• vee_new
    7 years ago

Almost, Carolyn, but peaches are the edibles in this one.

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Vee - Are you by chance reading Chocolat by Joanne Harris?

Carolyn - Is that what you were thinking also?

• vee_new
    7 years ago

Kathy, no it's the next book but one so I have missed out on a chunk of the story . . . and can't remember all the details from Chocolate which I read several years ago.

• carolyn_ky
    7 years ago

Chocolat was the book I was thinking of, too, Kathy. I haven't read the later one. Are you liking it, Vee?

• donnamira
    7 years ago

Lemonhead - yours is Wyndham's Day of the Triffids?

• vee_new
    7 years ago

Carolyn, I'm only a couple of chapters in. I'll let you know in Dec reading thread.

• lemonhead101
    7 years ago

Yes, mine was The Day of the Triffids... Good job, Donnamira!

Now, I am in an upper class drawing room listening to a conversation about whether the oldest son should marry his g-friend or not. Money is a big component of the match, and it's lots of "jolly hockey sticks" and "what-ho" happening...

• reader_in_transit
    7 years ago

I'm all over the place, frequently in Chicago, other times in Michigan, some other places, though usually briefly.

• carolyn_ky
    7 years ago

Louisville, Kentucky. What a coincidence.

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Carolyn, I saw on the December reading thread that you are reading Triple Crown, so I assume that's the book that has you located in Louisville. Correct? By the way, you mentioned the author is Felix Francis. Considering the book's title, I have to wonder if there is a family connection between Felix Francis and Dick Francis, or are the last names just a coincidence?

• vee_new
    7 years ago

Kathy, I believe Felix (son of Dick) 'collaborated' on many of his father's later works. I wonder if his own books are as fast paced as his father's were?

• carolyn_ky
    7 years ago

I sort of gave this one away, didn't I? And I find little difference between father and son. I really like all their books, particularly the old Sid Halley ones.

• merryworld
    7 years ago

reader-in-transit are you reading The Time Traveler's Wife?

• lemonhead101
    7 years ago

I'm a young man in American high school trying to work out the complex social and friendship rules and being rather lonely (but incredibly sweet).... Plus epistolary!

• merryworld
    7 years ago

Lemonhead, is it Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian?

• reader_in_transit
    7 years ago

Merryworld,

Yes, I was reading The Time Traveler's Wife.

• socks
    7 years ago

I am in South Africa and cannot hold my mother's hand in public.

• merryworld
    7 years ago

socks, are you reading something by Trevor Noah?

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've was on a road trip from Maine to Missouri when it was abruptly halted by an arrest in Iowa. Missouri is now looking doubtful.

• merryworld
    7 years ago

I've got my first teaching gig with my newly minted PHD and am setting up my first lab with my friend Bill at Georgia Tech. I'm into trees.

• reader_in_transit
    7 years ago

Merryworld,

Are you reading Lab Girl?

• merryworld
    7 years ago

reader_in_transit, got it in one!

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My Maine-to-Missouri trip completed (Third Hill North of Town), I've now moved on to Moscow in The Billion Dollar Spy, Quite a change of scenery ... and temperature.