SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_grandominico

Can someone please layout the construction process for a buyer?

Hi!

Love the forums and advice here.
My wife and I are planning to build a new home soon, and since I like to know exactly what is going on - I'm reaching out for help here.

Background
-

We are in Ohio, and have put a down-payment on a lot in a subdivision with the builder who owns it. We are planning to purchase the land in full, and obtain a construction loan for the build, using the land as equity. Our builder has a great reputation and been in business for about 25 years. We have been pre-approved by two banks for the loan amount and are planning to close on the loan in December, building soon after. The home is a spec build that the builder has done before, with slight modifications.

Questions -

• I understand how a construction loan works, and many of the basics but curious about a few things I would have independent opinions on.
  • Do we need anyone to represent us in the loan/closing process? i.e. do we need to hire someone?
  • Our bank suggested to close on the land and loan at the same time to avoid extra closing costs, is this valid?
  • Do we need to hire anyone during the build other than the builder? i.e. an inspector/agent?
  • What things are negotiable in the price of a home? i.e. what can we ask the builder to lower a price on?
  • Is there any concerns we should have about building during winter?
  • What concerns or problems should we be ready for as buyers?
  • What are some asks we should bring to the builder for the home? i.e. what are things that you love in your home, or wish were included originally?

Any other advice for a young couple building their first home?

Thank you!

Comments (6)