SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katherine_byeon

Flooring Installation Nightmare

Katherine Byeon
7 years ago

Can someone help me out with some valuable opinions please? I am paying $4 per sq ft for just the installation of engineered hardwood floors. I've purchased the flooring materials myself.

When the floors arrived Friday 16th, they acclimated the material for three days. They started the prep work on Tuesday 20th. The installation began on the evening of Wednesday 21st.

Move-in day was booked for Wednesday 28th Morning.

When I went over there on the evening of Monday 26th, only the living room was done and floors were initially installed looking like the pictures. I had to make them adjust the joints the next morning because it really didn't look very good at all.

I also have noticed that these folks have not used glue or any underlay on top of the concrete subfloor, saying that they don't need to. They told me that the bounce in some areas of the floor would apparently not be noticeable when the trims are back in.

I've gotten some quotes from other flooring people and they all have told me that the installation part only takes a couple of days, especially if there are no furniture in the house. It's only a 900 sq ft space.

They delayed the moving to Thursday 29th. I went over to the house tonight and they were loudly cutting and installing the flooring at almost midnight:( the floors still have areas that look bad.

Now they're telling me that they might have to leave the trim undone until after the move.

The thing is.. I naively paid the workers the full amount of $3600 with cash upfront. They're not terrible people and I was recommended these guys by someone that is trustworthy and amazing, so I completely trusted the workers too.

What should I do in a situation like this? :(

Am I being too unrealistic with my expectations? I don't even know what to feel anymore. I mean, what if I am still very unhappy with the way that the floors were installed? Do I just have to let it go?

P.S.

Yeah, I am way too trusting of people:( I should really learn my lesson and stop being so naive I'll be better next time I promise.

Comments (25)