SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lhlh68

What is this on my Jade plant?

lhlh68
7 years ago

I have my Jade plants outside for summer. Today, when I tried to get them ready to move inside (I'm in zone 5, Ohio), I saw some white thing on some of the leaves. Too many leaves drop with even a slight shake. Is this scale? I read some posts here about the scale and it seems there's no hope to get rid of it. Is it truly no way, or just no worth the effort? Please help me to identify this. If it is scale, please point me to any possible treatment that might work. I am willing to do whatever takes to save these jades. Thank you!

Comments (23)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

That looks like scale, and perhaps even mealy bugs? Scale are the oval bugs, looking like bumps, and you should check to make sure by wiping the leaf with a wet/moist paper towel-cloth-cotton ball. If they wipe off, it is scale. You may see some bloody goo if you squish the towel.

There seems to be some white 'stuff' mostly visible on the left side of the leaf - maybe I am just seeing things in the pic. If it is fluffy, web-like, it may be mealy bugs.

Scale comes off (and gets killed) if you moisten the towel with rubbing alcohol. You could also use spray of rubbing alcohol & water, spraying everywhere.

It is quite large infestation and I am surprised you didn't see it before. Is it mostly on underside? top of the leaves? or just about everywhere? Is it on one plant or all? If you have plants that were kept close, make sure you check them thoroughly as these bugs will spread around.

You need to get rid of all of it, any 'bugs' left behind, if alive, could just spread around again. The mealy bugs should come off too, you may have to repeat spraying after about 10days-2weeks. There are some chemicals you could use too, perhaps someone will recommend (I use the rubbing alcohol).

If treating with anything, keep the plant out of sun.

• lhlh68
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you! Rina. Now when I look closely, it does not like any insect. It's a tiny white patch, more like some kind of disease infection than bug. I just came back from Home depot with Bauer's 3-in-1 Insect, Disease, & Mite Control. I never used this before. Now my question is can I use this on jades. Anyone used this one Jade plant?

• Related Discussions

What is wrong with my jade plant?

Q

Comments (22)
    Granted even with the mind set of the entire forum it doesn't make it right to suggest conflicting label following suggestions. Many ways of doing things including irradicating mites If and when I ever have a mite problem I also have complete and total confidence that a jade will re-grow when I prune away a mite infestation while I monitor it for the potentual of more mites When I want to know what label I should follow and what label I shouldn't follow then I'll have a problem.
    ...See More

What is wrong with my Jade plant?

Q

Comments (5)
    It looks like mold. Remove most of the leaves and repot with fresh potting soil into a fresh pot. OR completely scour with soap and water the pot you are using before repotting into it. Take a spray bottle with a solution of baking soda and water. Spritz, and gently wipe into leaf that remain on the plant. Don't worry if there are only a few leaves. Only let the best looking ones remain.
    ...See More

What would be eating my Jade plants???

Q

Comments (8)
    I keep all of my plants up on shelves, to exclude insects, as well as varmints. Many animals, and birds, will look to plants for water, if they have no source of water available. I have a bird bath that everything uses, except rabbits, who I think get plenty of water from the grass & weeds that they eat. I would bet it was a chipmunk, because I've never had squirrels show interest in plants. So is there anything to keep them away? Well, nothing outside of keeping them up higher or fencing in a little area for them. Joe
    ...See More

Whats wrong with my jade plant?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Grace. Does your container have drainage holes? Your soil looks too peaty and water retentive. Looks like it could use some inorganic material like perlite or pumice. At least 50-60%.
    ...See More
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Many ppl use it and also posted about it. I never used it (not available in Canada), so hopefully somebody with experience will post. You can also try to search this forum, there is a search bar on top and type in Bayer 3 in 1 (or something similar)...see what comes up.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    7 years ago

Since the leaf is not attached to the plant, let's try this - Spray the leaf with Windex. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Then wash and wipe it off. Scale should come off easily if that is what you have.

It sure does look like scale, but maybe some other vermin has nibbled in it. Can we see the whole plant? Are these spots everywhere?

I have never sprayed the Bayer products ON a jade. I have made that mistake with Kalanchoes and they burnt. I have used it as a drench, tho. It will not remove what is already there, but it will kill any new nibblers and stop the cycle.

lhlh68 thanked Crenda 10A SW FL
  • kwie2011
    7 years ago

I can even tell it's scale on my little phone screen. Scale doesn't look like a bug. It looks like a scale, or a dried out plant pimple or something. It doesn't look like something that will come off, and it's very hard to get off, but it really is an insect. Google some photos of it and you'll see. Bayer 3-in-1 is fine for jades and other succulents. I use it. It's effective against a lot of things, but I don't recall if scale is one of them. The label should say.

lhlh68 thanked kwie2011
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

JMO - and I can't get Bayers - I don't like to use 'big guns' on everything, right away. I find scale quite easy to get rid of. Rubbing alcohol is all I use, luckily, don't have to do it too often. Scale is dead almost instantly, at least that's my experience. If I had to choose, I rather have scale than mealy bugs...

• lhlh68
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am glad that you confirmed it is OK to use Bayer 3-in-1 on jades. Yes, scale is on the label.

I treated black spot with Neem Oil without knowing jades don't like oil. That almost killed them. Some weaker ones dropped more than half of their leaves. Better be sure first.

I never had to treat my jades until this year. I think we had too much rain this summer. I will provide some kind of cover next year to protest them from rain.

Thank you all for the help. I am attaching some photos of my jades. They were taken in May and some of them grew much bigger now. I have not taken any for the sick ones yet.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

lh

Nice variety, very nice plants and nice containers! (Hope all of them have drainage hole...)

Photo #3 - I see some white dotty spots on leaves. Do you know what they are?

Btw, what is your general location? Are they still outdoors?

lhlh68 thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • lhlh68
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like that osprey picture. I am at Columbus, Ohio. The white spots on #3 is the same as the one I had in my initial post. It's been like that for a year or more. The reason I'd like to use Bayer is the systematic treatment. I had mealy last winter when they were inside. I sprayed with soapy water many times during summer and I cannot see any now. I never saw the actual scale insect like the one showing in the photo, only the white dots and I don't think they are even movable. I will try the Windex tomorrow to see what happen. To me it's more like fungus than insect.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

Do the white dots in pic 3 feel gritty and crystalline in between your fingers when you rub one of them off? Under certain conditions crassulas can produce white dots over the upper surface of their leaves as they excrete excess salts from water and fertilisers which dry to make these small crusty blobs. Pic 3 seems like this, but your original pic looks more like scale/scale damage to me.

Gill

• hookilau
    7 years ago

This past summer, I bought an aeonium from Ebay and it was looaaaaded with scale upon scale.

Peep scale:

Luckily, seller replaced plant, albeit a smaller one.

The windex worked for me. A soft toothbrush was advised & to keep the plant in the shade for a few days (which was the plan anyway after trauma of shipping).

I have Bayer & use it the last few weeks before bringing plants in from outside for the winter.

I actually have multiple systemic treatments on hand, but Bayer is the only one I've ever used. I've purchased granules too, not as effective as the spray, I used it for mealies.

It's the same active ingredient that kills fleas/breaks the flea life cycle, in the topical treatment for cats and dogs marketed as 'Advantage'.

Something to consider, read label. I think it only works on 'crawlers' this is why I chose to try the Windex first.

Mechanically removing all the scale I saw and treating with Windex worked for me & none of my other plants became infected.

I'll post an after pic a little later, it's now waking up from it's summer nap =D

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    7 years ago

lhih68, I absolutely love your jades, and the pots are perfect.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Agree with Gill - that is why I asked about 'dots' on #3.

Btw careful with a brush - if using one, make sure it is soft and do not rub hard.

• kwie2011
    7 years ago

Hookilau, I'd have been so angry if someone had sent me that bug-infested mess! Lucky you got it before it spread. Ugh. How did they not see that when they packed it?

There are several Bayer products that come in that blue bottle bottle and look alike. Imidacloprid I think is the only ingredient in one of them, but 3-in-1 has a couple other active ingredients also. If OP is concerned that there is more funk than just the bugs, 3-in-1 should give some peace of mind. It's environmentally pretty horrible stuff though, so I don't use it unless I have really good reason (when my invisible mite issue was spreading to my other plants despite horticultural soap, for example).

Keep your plants indoors when flowering if you're using any product with imidacloprid. It will kill bees and butterflies, which both have enough challenges without us poisoning them also. Bees take poisoned nectar back to the hive where it continued to kill. It also ends up in our own food supply that way. Blech.

• lhlh68
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok, I have to get this identified. I saw one more leaf this morning with a lot of this stuff. It was inside the bush close to a lower branch. I took some pictures with a macro lens (I could not see it clearly with my reading glasses + a magnifier). Now it does look like something bug related. I used a Q-tip with some Windex and it came off very easily. I could not find identical image in Google. Most of the images of scales I found are showing the bugs kind 'walking' or floating on the surface. But mine are all almost bonded to the surface. Is this a kind of scales? Hope you can see it clearly now.

This the whole tree:

There are other leaves on the tree with some too, but not as bad:

Some other bugs caused below?

• lhlh68
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are the poor sick ones. I treated them with Bayer and let them dry.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Yes, that looks like scale. It doesn't move much, especially adults - hey seem to be sitting in one spot most of the time. But there is some slow crawling.

There is armored scale and soft scale. Armored is little more harder to control as it gets more mature. They also secrete honeydew loved by ants, and they protect the scale...

Your last pic in previous post is showing what looks like mechanical damage, possibly a squirrel chewing on it, that has scabbed over.

Another reminder - keep sprayed plant out of direct sun.

• kwie2011
    7 years ago

Scale, scale, and more scale- except that one little bite mark.

There are many species of scale in many sizes, colors, and shapes. Hard scale bugs (many species) have a hard covering or "shield" of chitin that gives them the appearance of scales or tissue bumps rather than bugs. They adhere so tightly that you can run your fingernail over them without dislodging them. Under that keratin-like shield that they wear, they are insects, but you can't see any eyes, legs, antennae, or parts that indicate that until you get the little buggers off. I think some might even use honeydew to glue themselves to the plant. It's an ingenious adaptation to keep them safe from predators.

lhlh68 thanked kwie2011
  • Chelayna Berkey
    7 years ago

It looks like scale. Or mealy bugs.. I'd they are fluffy and produce fuzz its mealy. My Gramma has a recipe to spray on the plants to make it go away and it works. I use it on mine when they get mealy bugs. Get a spray bottle and put a sqirt of dawn dish soap in there and then get a bottle of the whiskey brown Listerine mouth wash, it has to be the brown, and put a good amount in the spray bottle with the soap. Then add Luke warm water and gently shake. Be careful not to get it to sudsy when shaking. Then what I do is put all the affected plants in the bath tub and spray the crap out of them. Just soak em. And let them sit overnight. Or if you just have one little plant affected you can get a qtip dipped in rubbing alcohol and swab off the scale and bugs. It works as well. Gramma tells no lies! She has been growing all kinds of plants forever. That's where I got my green thumb. And you can use that mixture on just about any plant and as much as needed. I have used this spray on my whole collection and I have never had a plant die or get messed up from it. After you have let them sit with the spray on you can use the shower head and spray the excess off if you like. Don't have too but some ppl might want to. Good luck!

lhlh68 thanked Chelayna Berkey
  • lhlh68
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! I think I will do spray for larger ones with too many leaves and smaller ones with Windex, alcohol, or mouth wash. It may take a while. Hopefully I won't lost any of them.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

I wouldn't recommend using a soap in sprays - even if Chelayna has good experience with it. Here is a good explanation from Al:

"The dish detergent will continue to be used as a topical spray or root drench by those unaware of the very harmful effects it has on cuticular waxes in the leaves' dermal layer and to the lipid membranes in roots. There is just no way to support the use of dishsoaps/detergents on plant material, and saying, "I've done it for years and it never harmed my plants" isn't support - it's an anecdote that science doesn't support. If it dissolves cuticular wax and root membranes, and it's widely known that it does, it's harmful."

It will not kill the plant, but it isn't good for it in the long run.

The only soap I would use in any mixture would be a plant-oil based (like Castile soap, made from olive oil).

• Chelayna Berkey
    7 years ago

When I do it I only use a tiny bit in the mixture and after I wash it off with the shower head to get rid of any residue.