SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camsgt

Anyone Ever Reframe Inside Existing Walls?

camsgt
7 years ago

I have this older home that really needs lots of love.I own this home free and clear.I have considered tearing it down but it has some sentimental value.Currently i rent it out,pretty low rent due to condition.

I put a new roof on 2 years ago,all new sheeting,some framing had to be redone because of rot,so the 5k quoted roof ended up costing 12k! In it's current condition,i would say it's value is around 40k

It is a rather boring house in an ok neighborhood.It is a rectangular,single story slab,3 bedrooms,1 is 12x12,1 is 10x12 and 1 is 8x10. with only 1 full bath.Overall outside dimensions are about 24'x36'. Kitchen is odd because the furnace,water heater and washer/dryer are in a cavity that separates the living room and kitchen,so it's all in the kitchen.

The home was built in the 50's,think it's like a pre fab house?The walls are very thin,in some spots like under kitchen sink,i can see daylight through some areas of the walls...has very old aluminum siding,most windows are just painted shut old,single pane missing storms.

Here is what i was thinking... I would like to rip off all the nasty aluminum siding,i could do that.I would like to put up either some cedar siding or some of that cement plank board. I would like to replace all the windows.That work i would leave for the professionals as i haven't done work like that before,although i am sure i could,i'd be more comfortable knowing it was done right..On the inside,i could do just about everything. I would like to reframe all the exterior facing walls on the inside and get up some good insulation.I would run all new wiring as the old wiring doesn't have the ground plugs on outlets.I would redo all the plumbing with pex.Already had an issue with the water pipes that are buried in the slab.According to a local plumber,back in the 50's when the house was built,copper was expensive so they added different metals to the copper to make it cheaper.Eventually this added metal rusts and pinholes form.So this happened twice,first we jack hammered the bedroom floor,next time we ran cpvc up and over in the attic.I want to replace that cpvc,hence the pex.

I don't really want to change the layout except for the odd furnace/water heater/washer&dryer.I would move these to the tiny bedroom,making it a 2 bedroom home.

So as you can see,this is almost a complete redo,with me doing the majority of the work.I have done quite a lot of electrical work as i am an industrial electrician.I have experience in pretty much all areas of the work i intend to do.I think it could be a very nice project and possibly a good little retirement home for me! Just buttloads of work!

I was thinking the siding and windows would run around 10k-15k,and interior i was thinking materials,about 8k for all new engineered hardwood,$2500 for plumbing,2k for framing,$1500 for insulation,5k for rta kitchen cabs and with all the other miscellaneous stuff, a total budget of around 40k-50k.

Anyone ever took on a project like this,seen a project like this or have any opinions?

Comments (9)