SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

Did Anyone Know These Clitoira Existed?

PoohBearLvr
5 years ago

I got purple and double white clitoria seeds from Sri Lanka a month ago. Great deal. But....I got DOUBLE PURPLE blooms from my single purple seeds!! I didn't know they came in this color...double purple blooms? Did anyone else into vines, and or the clitoria vines, know they even came in double purple? I have all the other colors, the whites and blues, and the SINGLE light purple. Pictures below. But all the ones I got from this Sri Lanka order are all blooming double purple!! A terrific surprise, but a shock to. So...did anyone else know about these? Or currently growing them?

I have seen the single purple bloom seeds for $15 for 5 seeds! I wouldn't pay that. Not as nice of a bloom as the ones I am growing either, like in this picture.

So before I could try and sell any of these ,and say they are purple/lavender,I had to grow and bloom them. I these beautiful double purples instead of the single blooms! So..I figured I would ask if I have found a new variety? OR is everyone growing it, and I just never saw it? I have never sen it online, always the double blue, and white, but never double purple. So....fill me in please. Rare? Or....' I've grow them for years now' ?

Comments (32)

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    5 years ago

That double purple is so pretty and I have never seen a double purple only blue. But that's just me. Very nice all the same. Love the single use to have one.

PoohBearLvr thanked Glenn Jones(9b)
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I got 4 blooms today, they are a little bigger to! I took pics. but didnt post them. I need to pot them up.....more root room and maybe I'll get the bigger blooms.

These are the first ones. Well that is one fellow gardener that hasn't seen this before. The person I bought the seeds from, said he gets the double blooms in his garden all the time, obviously, but didn't think they are rare. So he just told me they were lavender/purple. What I was looking for, the double part didn't get mentioned. I guess they are that common in Sri Lanka?

Did you grow the single one from a batch of seeds, or get lucky with 1 seed?

They are either very easy to germinate, or very hard. Most come up in a few days for me. Then out of the blue, seeds I thought that were dead, pop up a month later!

• Related Discussions

Water Spikes! I didn't even know these existed.

Q

Comments (1)
    i used them, and they worked well, although a glass bottle with a long neck (wine bottle) with a small hole put in the cork or lid works just as well.
    ...See More

has anyone uncovered an existing wood floor under a wood floor?

Q

Comments (2)
    Could be almost anything. If you're going replace the thin slat florring anyway, then have at it and remove the stuff; you will then reveal what you have beneath it and be able to decide if it is worth restoring. I have done many restorations and there was only one floor that was DOA. Sounds as if your house has had lots of "remuddling" over the years; it's amazing what a DIYer with poor vision can do to nice architecture.
    ...See More

Anyone install hardwood to match existing hardwood?

Q

Comments (20)
    Redroze, I'm just getting back online and seeing your questions, so I'll try to answer what I can. My new floor in the LR/DR was not pre-finished, it was all site-finished. I did put a pre-finished floor down in my office (no pics, sorry) because I work from home and didn't have time to be without my office for the week it would have taken to have floor sanded etc. The pre-finished does have a different feel to it than the site-finished. I wouldn't say it's grooved, just a more defined difference in between the individual planks. The office doesn't adjoin any other room, except the tiled hallway, so I didn't worry so much about the wood being different there. I see from your pictures what you mean about running the planks the same way and wanting to be sure things don't look odd. One idea might be to take up some of your FR planks, like the first 12 or so, and then put them back down interwoven with the new planks. That way there's not a clear line in between the 2 rooms, but rather a more gradual blending. Here's another couple of pictures, this time of my family room. The first one is a before shot of the hardwood floor + a rug-like carpet. The floor created a frame around the carpet. I had the carpet taken up and new hardwood put in where the carpet originally was, then everything sanded and refinished. You absolutely can't tell where the old wood was vs where the new started. In this case, the new is random width because it opens directly to the kitchen (as opposed to the LR/DR which is all the same width). So, one house, all new site-finished floors in the LR & DR, all new pre-finished floor in the office, original/refinished in the kitchen, and half&half refinished + original in the family room. Boy did we have dust! Hope this helps! New:
    ...See More

Really fantastic broom - I know it exists

Q

Comments (155)
    This site sells the Redecker Outdoors/Shop broom. Good for concrete, so it would be perfect for my (it's a fourplex I rent at) long driveway. If only I could persuade my elderly neighbor to stop hosing down the driveway and just let me sweep it. A work in progress. :-) US company Harper Brushes has some great push brooms: http://www.harperbrush.com/Products-Harper/brooms.htm Canadian site carries it: HTTPS://WWW.GOOGLE.COM/URL?SA=T&SOURCE=WEB&RCT=J&URL=HTTPS://WWW.LIVINGROOMS.WS/PRODUCTS/REDECKER-OUTDOOR-SHOP-BROOM&VED=0AHUKEWIK9_SGSATSAHUQWWMKHEZUC7WQFGGGMAA&USG=AFQJCNE_ZBC1TFII3ALJLYR-WDCU-XE4HW&SIG2=MJ42RZAM1XQRNSHAQGJM0A
    ...See More
  • Glenn Jones(9b)
    5 years ago

Mine was a lovely single that came in a pot as a gift for a client after I worked on her house putting gutters on her home with water barrels. It did well until my old neighbor spray the whole area with round up. I'm glad I don't live there anymore. Same neighbor cut down one of my orange trees.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

if you want some seeds to grow them, let me know. I see you are fairly south. 9B zone. So, you can get them to germinate probably inside, as long as they are kept warm...then put them outside once it is warm and no frost at all. Probably bloom inside if you have a sunny window all winter.

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I've only ever seen the double purple. The double purple is what I have. I've never seen the white or light purple ones.

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    5 years ago

Oh wait I think the double blue is what I have! Just noticed your pic looks much lighter than my blooms. Haha. I'm bad with flower colors I guess.

PoohBearLvr thanked Florida_Joe's_Z10a
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The blue is VERY BLUE,no purple/lavender in it at all. The purple/lavender/mauve ones are purple...nothing close to blue in the blooms at all. And the purple/lavender ones are very very expensive. Up to $15 for 5 seeds. Check EBay. The blues/whites are 'affordable', but overseas they are very cheap. In the USA the are 'affordable-pricey'.

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    5 years ago

People see colors differently. Very few flowers look true blue to me. Delphiniums and plumbago are like the only flowers that i can think of right now that in some varieties actually look blue. Most others look purple or purplish/blue to me.

• dirtygardener
    5 years ago

Pooh, you are so brave to order seeds from overseas. I've only done that once, and that was because the reviews were good and I couldn't find that plant or seeds anywhere in the US. They were pepper seeds, and I haven't planted them yet, so I don't know if I wasted my money or not. I see all these cheap seeds from China, but the reviews are bad --- "didn't receive," "didn't germinate," "wasn't the right plant," "weed seed," etc. I could never buy seeds from China because of that. I figure they think that someone only paying 99 cents is just going to shrug it off, but not me. I want what I buy.

I just got seeds for some double blue clitoria from eBay that I'm going to try (again) to grow this year. I had a friend send me seeds twice. I got one vine to grow, and actually got 5 seeds from it, but they didn't sprout last year, so I thought I'd try to buy some instead of asking him to send me more.

PoohBearLvr thanked dirtygardener
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It was a risk, but they cost so little I finally took the chance. The seller sent me some seeds from India, off of EBay, and since the cost was so low, it was the shipping and tracking that cost more!! I got them in 17 days! I was shocked. Then when I planted the purple ones, and they bloomed double, I had to get more.

I ordered more. They didnt arrive. So he sent me 2 more full orders of seeds, to replace them....they are on the way. They left the US customs in NY 3 days ago. They will be here in maybe 2-3 more days. So...I am getting 2 more from him, not just the 1 order I paid for. The double purple/mauve AND double whites as well !

This order took 13 days. I wait 10 days sometimes to get seeds from Calif. So...for the low price, and huge amount of seed, it is worth it. But I HAD to plant them first to be sure of what I got. And I got double purple/mauve.

I JUST ordered RED clitoria seeds!! RED!! I had NO idea RED existed. Did anyone?? I got the last ones, 2 orders of them. She wont have more till next year. The picture of the bloom is just so pretty, a deep rusty RED! Single bloom. I asked her if it was real, or a dye job, like from China, with 'blue roses and purple watermelons' they sell on EBay.

I was told these are very real and very rare. They sold out in 1 day....and I got the last ones. Once I plant them and get blooms. As long as they are RED. I will sell them, and maybe get my car fixed! They are THAT expensive:) More than the purple/mauve ones. I need money. So..in another month I'll know for sure.

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    5 years ago

When the new red bloom please post some pictures

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I still don't know if anyone else is growing the double purple/lavender of not. Now it is going to be the single RED one!!

IF anyone is still reading this post. I just got my first order of RED clitoria seeds from Sri-Lanka. Along with other colors I wanted, and types. Double purple and white. Going to try this persons seeds, and see what type and color blooms I get. AND I ordered more of the RED seeds, luckily for me, no one was on EBay, because of Christmas, ....so I got all the newly posted red seeds on Ebay. Only had 2 small packs for sale. Their is some 'good luck' to having no family, no Christmas for me. So I can be on EBay on Christmas Day.

These got here in 10 days!! That is amazing. Faster than some mail from IN the USA. I am soaking 10 of the RED seeds now, only got 20! To plant in the morning. Once I get blooms, and can take pictures of them, to post here, I will.

I asked the seller, (and luckily he speaks/types very good English), why I, and no one else,...in HERE, has ever seen or heard of RED clitoria blooms. He told me that it is a new variety in Sri-Lanka, and has been in test growing for several seasons, till it bloomed true, now they are for sale IN his country only. So...now he is selling them out of the country. So far to me:) hehehehe!

So....it is NEW and very rare. Hey...the FEW people in the USA that have the double purple flower seeds, and single purple seeds are still selling them for $15 for 5 seeds! That is obscene. Yet overseas they cost next to nothing, IF you get the real thing. Thats the catch. But so far, I got double purple from single purple seeds! I think that is great!!

So, as long as I get RED blooms, and if they set seeds, I will have my own supply of fresh seeds. So I can sell them for whatever the market allows, and trade to others, (in here I hope). For what is a fair trade/sale. I am not going to screw people over, like what those others charge for 5 purple seeds!

I would like to know if anyone is interested in these RED seeds or not?

Or is it to just see the bloom? Is anyone interested in getting seeds, as long as they are RED?? I ordered the only new 2 packages available for sale, over Christmas, so he has none again. So....I am 'cornering the market' on them. Hope collectors of RARE flowers/seeds will be as anxious for RED clitoria seeds, as I am. Anyone else?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

Pooh, I'm assuming that you have gone through the proper legal channels to be able to import seeds from foreign countries. The USDA/APHIS considers the buyer to be the responsible party and not the seller.

Your sellers probably have their proper certifications, making it perfectly legal to ship their seeds to the US. I've often wondered how ebay sellers make sure that they are legal. I've read about some unexpected visits by USDA inspectors, resulting in substantial fines if it's found that the seller hasn't had his/her seeds, plants, cuttings inspected and certified.

Maybe you can share with the forums the steps you've had to take to be legal. I know that I would find it useful.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

Its easy to look up rules on the USDA website if anyone is so interested.

PoohBearLvr thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

It would be nice if someone actually familiar (experienced) with the process walk us through it. It seems intimidating to the uninitiated!

PoohBearLvr thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Rhizo_1 . Not to sound rude to you,...but,...NOPE! I haven't filled out a single form, AND was never asked to, and won't, IF I am ever asked to. I couldn't give a rat furry butt about any FDA, CITES, or other government rules for getting these or any other seeds from Sri-Lanka, India, Japan, China. They go through customs, in NY, I watch my tracking, and see my packages are there for 2-4 days,...being inspected, so IF it was a problem, THEY should stop them. Thats what our taxes pay them to do. Right?

They stop packages with PLANTS in them. And IF these were 'dangerous or illegal', they would stop them. Besides, I'd get them from people I know over there, if I wanted them bad enough, IF they were illegal. I'd get them, and just not tell anyone.

I am not importing cocaine. I didn't bring in the first Boa Constrictor, and let it go in the Everglades, so now we have millions of them. Or the first poisonous Cane Toad, thank the Cubans for them both. Or the first piece of KudZu, thrown out someones back door one day,.....and now COVERS states in the south.

Clitoria vines of all types grow naturally all over the USA. ( I have 1 of the rarest clitoria species growing in my garden right now. And it is on the endangered plant species list! I was sold it as being the regular purple clitoria. AND it is only suppose to be growing in 3 counties in upper Fla. thats it. These seeds came from Texas!!

Well to my surprise, once I found out what I had in my garden, I tried to bring it to some government dept. attention. No one gives a damn. No one has ever got back to me about them. It is one of the most endangered native plants around. I TRIED to find out what to do about the seeds I got, and now the plants, to help repopulate them in the wild, but no one cares. So..I'll keep them. 'Clitoria Fragrans'......look it up.)

Anyway....... I am just getting the RARE colors and types, like double blooms, and purples/lavender, and now the newest RED one! That cost a fortune in the USA, or cant be bought at all in the USA,...like the RED. Except from me:) (After I grow the seeds I planted last night, to be sure they are RED.) Then I can, and will, sell and trade them.

So, NO. I am not filling out form after form, and it isn't MY problem. IF they don't get here. I get a refund. The only seeds that NEVER got to me, were sent to me from a friend in Hawaii...and THOSE Clitoria seeds were confiscated and destroyed, to this day, I don't know why!

They grew in a US state, mailed in the USA, to another US state, and were just blue clitoria seeds. But somehow they were not allowed to be mailed/sent from Hawaii to Fla. YET people in Hawaii are selling plumeria seedlings/cuttings...orchids, and other plants on Ebay....charging a small fortune for all of them, and those go all over the US. Makes a lot of sense...right?

So no....I am not telling the government all about my 'illegal activities'..., which they aren't anyways. Besides I think 'Donny' is busy enough flushing our country down the drain as it is:)

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    5 years ago

I've never heard about any garden hobbyist going through any legal process to buy seeds from out of country on sites like Ebay. Years ago, I used to buy many seeds from out of country on eBay and I never even gave it any thought. They always arrived perfectly fine.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you 'Florida Joes'

• dirtygardener
    5 years ago

I've had seeds from Hawaii confiscated in CA and never get to me. I've also sent seeds to Canada and never had them arrive, and we presumed they were confiscated at the border. On the other hand, I had seeds sent from Belgium arrive perfectly well. It's hit and miss. Some sellers on eBay refuse to ship to CA or FL because of this, especially Canadian sellers. I try to buy only from the US unless I'm sure the seller is legit and there are several good reviews from the US saying they are reliable. As I said before, I never order anything from China.

PoohBearLvr thanked dirtygardener
  • Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    5 years ago

Hmm I haven't ordered any seeds online since leaving NYC. Maybe it's stricter in Florida. But I've ordered tons of exotic seeds from Asia, even China when I lived in NY and they all grew true to type.

You have to know how to weed out all the online schemers though. Always check out the vendor's other products. Make sure not to buy seeds from vendors selling things like neon blue rose seeds for instance or things you know don't grow true from seed. Only buy seeds from vendors who put down very detailed descriptions of the mature plants and who include details like plant uses and cultivation.

I would never buy seeds from vendors with no ratings or who didn't have lots and lots of good reviews. I also would avoid any vendors that made it a habit to sell unusually large amounts of seed for very little money. And I always look up botanical names to make sure I'm not buying anything terribly invasive or prohibited.

I looked up red clitoria vine on Google images and there are some pics that look very much photoshopped but there's one that looks like it could be real. However the one that looks like it could be real is the same exact pic used on more than one site including eBay so I don't trust it.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thus the reason I am growing the RED seeds now. Once they bloom, and are either RED, or I got taken and have more plain old white or blue,...and I am out a few bucks, or have the newest color there is,....and have extremely hard to get RED clitoria seeds, to sell/trade/ or give away.

With the proof in my garden, and my pictures. I cant find any pictures online anywhere of the red blooms. So people must be making them up.

Like the 'neon blue roses' in China. Or perfectly red and white striped roses in China. It is SO obvious that they are fake, it is unreal. And who grows roses from seed??

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Looked up these pictures that were mentioned on here. 3 of the 6 pics. are the same picture. And of the others, one is the picture I saw from Sri-Lanka, it is real. The other 2 look fake. Why anyone would post a fake red flower picture is beyond me. They are not even selling anything! If it were trying to get you to buy seeds or plants, you'd think they would post a website or something. I don't get it. Talk about wasting time.

5 years ago

l was going through my old seeds today and found this! Apparently Onalees Seeds sold lavender butterfly pea (Centrosema virginianum) at some point lol. I totally forgot I got these as free bonus seeds many years ago.

Geez! I need to clean out my old flower and veggie seeds! Not Clitoria but look similar.

5 years ago

Seedling ID photo

5 years ago

Pooh, what do your Clitoria lav pea vine seeds look like? I just found these in my Seedbox/bag as well. I dont remember where I got them. I never grew them out. I think they came with a trade for Morning Glory seeds..like a freebie thrown in. They dont look like my blue clitoria pea seeds..maybe they are the same as the (Centrosema virginianum) above?

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am sorry i didnt see all this earlier. I had major oral surgery 2 days ago. I want to die! the pain is unreal and thee wounds wont stop bleeding. I am so sick! I am trying to reach my dentist that did this, and so far,no call back. I need food. But cant eat, lucky I am a fat pig. I can live off my fat. But I am trying to distract my mind by being on here. Those seeds in the bag could be a clitoria seed. I got these seeds seeds, and got 'clitoria fragrans' from them. It is an endangered and VERY RARE clitoria. It is on the endangered plant list,online.

I grew them all out, it 'bloomed', but the 'blooms' were nothing at all, i saw no petals, just buds. Then I got tons of seed pods, and lots of VERY TINY seeds. They look like mouse poop,that tiny. The picture of that lavender bloom you posted is another type of clitoria but not the one I grow. It is a different genus I guess. I will post my lavender pic, here. Hope it helps i cant concentrate to well right now. Those seeds of yours probably wont germinate,they are old, but try it. They are not true clitorias, compare the blooms.

these are my single and double purple/lavender clitorias that I grow and will sell or trad to anyone. I have white blue double white double blue as well. Still waiting for my red clitorias to grow and bloom. so i can prove they are red.

5 years ago

My gosh, you poor thing! I hope you are feeling better soon. I had a lot of oral surgery and stuff going on too recently. Can you drink ensure or instant breakfast? Or fruit smoothies with yogurt? I "ate" scrambled eggs with cheese melted in it. Sweet or mashed potatoes are easy to chew. Yogurt and ice cream are good.

If you like beans, you can put them in the blender/food processor with a little bit of water and grind them up. Then add sour cream or plain yogurt and top w cheese and a salsa that is not chunky.

Cottage cheese with applesauce is good too.

I think the Ninja (blender) was my best friend for awhile lol.

Rinsing your mouth several times a day with warm salt water does miracles.

Your flowers are beautiful. Im gonna soak my seeds and plant them to see what happens. I will update the thread with their photos.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks for the info. about eating. I tried most of them, little luck, all I taste is blood...makes me sick.

I cant get my pain meds. Turns out the dentist put the date on the script as over 2 years ago!!! I couldn't beleive that. And he isn't in the office today, so I have to wait another day, tomorrow, till he is in the office, go to him,and get a new written script! Cant have his office call it in, these stupid pharmacy's think my bloody mouth isn't enough proof that it was some kind of computer error,and wont give me paid meds without a new written script!! So another day/night of ungodly pain,till i go to him at 730am and get a written script.

IF you are going to try and plant those seeds,nick the side before soaking them, or you are just wasting your time. To get the seed to re-hydrate, it needs a way for the water to soak into the seed. They MIGHT germinate, if any soak up water and dont float, they might germinate. This 'lavender spur' type flower is kind of like a clitoria seed. So it needs a lot of warmth to germinate. it should sprout in less than a week. My super tiny seeds, for 'Fragrans', were up and growing, and looked like your seedling pics. off that package in only 1-2 days!

• luvsgrtdanes
    5 years ago

PoohBear I sent you a message about a trade.

PoohBearLvr thanked luvsgrtdanes
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yup....waiting for our trades to arrive:) Cant wait!!!!

• Uv Singh
    2 years ago

Did the red ones ever grow?