SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmax123

Purchased backsplash will be too dark; how to handle contractor?

Kennon Johnson
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi - We are wrapping up our 175 sq. ft kitchen remodel. Our contractor works w/ a smaller tile/granite store and we met him there to pick out the backsplash tile and granite.

We learned our choice tile (medium taupe/beige color) was out of stock so we went back he had another option in stock for us - similar but much a darker almost charcoal color. We agreed to go with that.

The tile was at our kitchen yesterday - mostly still in the box - when I realized how dark it was. I'm really unsure about it - the primary reason of our remodel was to open and brighten the space (not a lot of natural light in there).

I told our contractor and he seemed hesitant and mentioned that "I don't think it's returnable so if you want to change it'll be double the cost" - which is already about $1400 for material/install. We are way over budget already and I know he's been helping us where he can, but I almost feel like he's ready to wrap up the project and discouraging me to question the tile.

Do I:

1) Let them install it and hopefully like it?

2) Tell them not to install it and hang on to the tile and figure it out later (maybe go to a big box store and do it ourselves - wasting what we purchased)?

3) Try to 'put my foot down' and tell him if he doesn't I will try to go to the tile store directly and plead with them?

I would think having a close relationship with a tile/granite store, he could get a credit for it or swap it out (it was not special ordered). Isn't there a reason for paint samples and swatches? The place is about 15 min. away and our granite hasn't been installed yet.

Thanks all!

Our kitchen (sorry - bad photo)

From tile place stock photo:

Comments (20)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio