SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly7870482

The foundation for the addition is lower than the original house

Holly L
7 years ago

Hello! I moved back to my home one week ago after a 6 month reno/addition project.

I had noticed from the beginning that I felt like I was going downhill when walking into the addition area, but when I put a 4" level in the actual addition, everything looked level.

Now that I'm moved in the sensation of being off level is very apparent, especially when seated at my desk which is at the shared wall of the original building and the new construction. So I pulled out my level again and see that the transition off level from the original house to the addition is measurable.

I have attached pictures of the level at the junction of the original house and the new addition, with a close up of the level bubble (the bubble doesn't change if it is moved anywhere along this junction). The room in the photo is part of the original house. My desk is in the same location as the original house and I never felt 'off level'.

I suspect that the builder knocked out the sleepers that the original wood floor had been resting on so that he could "bend" the old floor and the new floor to match the new. I know he said the they were not expecting this 1950s house to be built this way (even though I told him from the outset that this is the way homes in this neighborhood are built).

Obviously, its too late to correct the foundation and flooring.

My question is: Is this degree of a slope from new to old normal and expected? How will this affect my home in the future? Should I be entitled to some sort of compensation for the addition being out of level? This seems like a big difference in level for a short amount of space (4 feetish)...

Thank you!

Comments (4)