SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gbillan

Install egress windows in basement?

gbillan
7 years ago

We are looking at purchasing a home that needs egress windows installed in basement to meet requirements. The window is there now, there just too small. I got two estimates, both have lots of experience and are knowledgeable. One quote was $1500 per window and the other was $3500 per window. The cheaper guy is an independent contractor, where the higher quote is an actual company. I would get references form both before proceeding, but if everything comes out equal, the cheaper guy is a no-brainer, right?

Why such a big difference in quotes? Could it just be that the company has higher overhead?

Also, is there any risk in compromising the integrity of the foundation by having this done? We would need an engineer to do the drawing first and get the permits from the city.

We are also thinking of adding a brand new window installed as well; like cutting a new hole in the concrete for another window to increase sunlight in the basement. The independent contractors said it would be approximately the same cost as enlarging an existing window to meet egress.

Comments (4)

• worthy
    7 years ago

any risk in compromising the integrity of the foundation by having this done?

If the added space is vertical and you're dealing with poured concrete it's not normally a problem.

adding a brand new window ...as well

There will have to be properly-sized steel headers above to take the load of the walls and floors. Spray foam insulation is the best way to fill all the gaps that will be exposed.

If a permit is required in your jurisdiction, best not to cut corners to avoid it. Permitting officials will provide you an independent view on the minimum standards that have to be met.

• gbillan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lily's: they're calling the bedroom an office so not breaking any rules I suppose. The reason I'm getting quotes is so I can then factor that into an offer, if I make one.